Impact gun on flywheel nut and puller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry to take over the forum I have a lot of questions. This should be the last one for a while... so apparently I’ve been committing a lot of the “no-no’s” of workin on boats. When I removed my flywheel nut I used an impact gun. I used the correct harmonic balancer puller but I used my impact on it (took a long time of holding the trigger to get it off too) could all those vibrations mess up the magnets or flywheel in any way? I read it can weaken the magnets force. I also just (lightly) torqued the flywheel nut onto the crankshaft using the impact just to see if it ran (I didn’t run it long and am planning to torque it properly... should I refrain from using the impact gun anymore at all? I don’t want to screw up the magnet or warp anything

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That whole.post should be a sticky for what not to ever do.
Maybe you should find a dealer or a friend who has some knowledge on 2 strk motors to help you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I use my impact gun for 2 things. OK 22 things. My lugnuts (20) and the 2 upper Torx bolts on the Jeep bellhousing.

That's it. Never ever on outboard flywheel bolts. Loosen the nut using a breaker bar, install the puller and tighten the bolt and tap the bolt. One, two or three taps and the flywheel breaks free and the loose nut stops the flywheel from hitting my nose. If it doesn't break, tighten the puller bolt a little and tap some more.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
On the other hand, I use the impact all the time to REMOVE the nut. Also on the puller to remove the flywheel. Make sure it is set to loosen, not tighten the nut. Always use a torque wrench to TIGHTEN the nut, never the impact.

It will NOT damage the magnets, Flywheel magnets made since WW II are almost indestructible. Well possibly not if you used a welding torch on them or something stupid like that.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agrreeed-----Using a battery powered impact makes removing flywheel nuts a breeze, even on 200 HP motors.------Rarely do I use an impact when installing nuts and bolts on an outboard motor !

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the other hand, I use the impact all the time to REMOVE the nut. Also on the puller to remove the flywheel. Make sure it is set to loosen, not tighten the nut. Always use a torque wrench to TIGHTEN the nut, never the impact.

It will NOT damage the magnets, Flywheel magnets made since WW II are almost indestructible. Well possibly not if you used a welding torch on them or something stupid like that.

What could it damage then? I will buy a strap wrench soon

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use my impact gun for 2 things. OK 22 things. My lugnuts (20) and the 2 upper Torx bolts on the Jeep bellhousing.

That's it. Never ever on outboard flywheel bolts. Loosen the nut using a breaker bar, install the puller and tighten the bolt and tap the bolt. One, two or three taps and the flywheel breaks free and the loose nut stops the flywheel from hitting my nose. If it doesn't break, tighten the puller bolt a little and tap some more.
I’ll have to buy a strap wrench then, thanks!

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
That whole.post should be a sticky for what not to ever do.
Maybe you should find a dealer or a friend who has some knowledge on 2 strk motors to help you.

Any chance I damaged something? It seemed to run ok, the flywheel nut wasn’t torqued much when I took it off actually because the time before that that I had the flywheel off I had it torqued to like 25 ft lbs (didn’t run it don’t worry) just to keep it somewhere if that makes sense. Yesterday was the first time it ran

alldodge

Staff member
Deleting so folks won't read and get bad info. My mistake, need to read better

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If.you impact the flywheel off there is a good chance of pulling the threads out of flywheel. By impacting the flywheel on you run the risk spreading the taper.

alldodge

Staff member
Forgive me folks I'll go back to the couch.
Just noticed this is an OB, I saw flywheel and balancer and thought regular motor. The flywheel / balancer thru me off

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
On OB's you should employ the proper tools stated by the motor manufacturer to remove the nut and flywheel. Won't alter the magnets fields as are super strong ones. What you must NEVER DO is give a high impact say with a hammer to any lateral side of the flywheel. A shade tree mechanic did so as he wanted to avoid buying a harmonic ballancer to pull the flywheel off, he did remove the flywheel after some bangs but enden breaking a large maget in half. The new flywheel and repair ended costlng the client $ 500 bucks. Personally would have squandered that pseudo mechanic...

Happy Boating

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Only thing I would like to add here is that I don't use a strap wrench...I use rope coiled up in the top cylinder through the spark plug hole to lock the flywheel/motor. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it works for me.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Only thing I would like to add here is that I don't use a strap wrench...I use rope coiled up in the top cylinder through the spark plug hole to lock the flywheel/motor. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it works for me.

Have seen L shaped Hex Keys used for that same purpose. OK tool as long you don't screw up the piston head or the internal spark plug hole..

Happy Boating

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
In my younger days, absolutely I screwed up a couple flywheels, and crank's doing just what you are doing.
Funny how buying the right tool for the job makes a world of difference! Even if you think you may be never needing the tool again, you will find yourself reaching for it again.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgive me folks I'll go back to the couch.
Just noticed this is an OB, I saw flywheel and balancer and thought regular motor. The flywheel / balancer thru me off

You tried to help though that’s all that counts ... thanks for trying lol

Last edited:

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
On OB's you should employ the proper tools stated by the motor manufacturer to remove the nut and flywheel. Won't alter the magnets fields as are super strong ones. What you must NEVER DO is give a high impact say with a hammer to any lateral side of the flywheel. A shade tree mechanic did so as he wanted to avoid buying a harmonic ballancer to pull the flywheel off, he did remove the flywheel after some bangs but enden breaking a large maget in half. The new flywheel and repair ended costlng the client $ 500 bucks. Personally would have squandered that pseudo mechanic...

Happy Boating

I lightly tapped the side of the flywheel with a wood hammer to get it to pop free is that bad?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Using an impact to tighten the flywheel nut (over-torquing the nut) can force the flywheel hub too far down on the tapered shaft, spreading the tapered hole in the hub, thereby running the flywheel.

Thankfully I under tightened it if anything I made sure to not give it too much, I just snugged it down. I’m ordering a strap wrench tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.