Im winterizing, question about battery/storage

mklawz

Cadet
This is my first time winterizing, so Im a little confused on something. I want to shrink-wrap my boat locally but store it remotely. How do I; shrink-wrap it, trailer it with the outdrive up, then lower the outdrive (as recommended for storage) and then remove the battery all while the shrink wrap is on?

It seems to me that this is an issue that has been presented many times over, so Im probably not understanding something very obvious. Again, this is my first time.

Thanks

BARKLEY

Banned
Re: Im winterizing, question about battery/storage

The outdrive up will be fine. There is no reason to lower it.. Pull your battery, get it wrapped, and call it good. Who ever told you the outdrive needs to be down is wrong!

Bondo

Staff member

This is my first time winterizing, so Im a little confused on something. I want to shrink-wrap my boat locally but store it remotely. How do I; shrink-wrap it, trailer it with the outdrive up, then lower the outdrive (as recommended for storage) and then remove the battery all while the shrink wrap is on?

It seems to me that this is an issue that has been presented many times over, so Im probably not understanding something very obvious. Again, this is my first time.

Thanks

Ayuh,... I think they can put in a little door, for an extra charge of course,...

I've Never, Ever seen a shink-wrapped boat goin' down the road,...
'round here, their wrapped on site..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

winterize as usuall, remove outdrive for service, shrink wrap, deliver.

BARKLEY

Banned

Ayuh,... I think they can put in a little door, for an extra charge of course,...

Bingo!

Bondo

Staff member

The outdrive up will be fine. There is no reason to lower it.. Pull your battery, get it wrapped, and call it good. Who ever told you the outdrive needs to be down is wrong!

Ayuh,.... I'll argue that point,...

Drive fully Up is the Worst possible thing to do...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tell me why?????

Because the exhaust cavity in the drive can fill with water when up, freeze and crack the lower unit housing.

BARKLEY

Banned

I will tell you this..I have had 4 i/O'S, IN MY LIFE. 2 storade outside and 2 storade inside. Never had a problem with any of them during winter time with them up. So give me a reason why that does'nt work, and we will go from there...

Don S

I will tell you this..I have had 4 i/O'S, IN MY LIFE. 2 storade outside and 2 storade inside. Never had a problem with any of them during winter time with them up. So give me a reason why that does'nt work, and we will go from there...

My gawd dude, give some time for an answer, I answered your first question of why in 5 minutes. RELAX

BARKLEY

Banned

Because the exhaust cavity in the drive can fill with water when up, freeze and crack the lower unit housing.
New to me?? The 2 that were out side, always had a cover around the outdrive and prop (just a heavy towel or something). During the winter, it does get cold around here. I have winterized every boat I have had and never had a problem!?.

BARKLEY

Banned

My gawd dude, give some time for an answer, I answered your first question of why in 5 minutes. RELAX
Sorry, just having fun, nothing personeol!!! Good to chat:D

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL-O I don't have a outdrive I'am a o/b guy ,but i think it has to do with pressure

Don S

People are asking serious questions here, and expect real answers, not someone "just having fun" .

Bondo

Staff member

New to me?? The 2 that were out side, always had a cover around the outdrive and prop (just a heavy towel or something). During the winter, it does get cold around here. I have winterized every boat I have had and never had a problem!?.

Ayuh,.... You bein' Lucky, don't make it Right....

Everything to do with boats, has to do with Drainage....

Yer just Lucky the weep holes in yer housings happened to work, 'n not freeze 1st...

The drive should be Down,...
Or, Off, 'n in the garage...

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Outdrive down is best imho. In addition to the point about water filling up the cavity, which can be prevented by placing a bucket over the prop, the bellows are stretched to maximum all winter long and the rams, at least on a volvo are extended meaning the surface of the rams is subject to all that harshness over the winter.

Lot of reasons to store the drive down.

I have seen boats towed that have been shrink wrapped, but I know many are also done onsite and left which to me is preferable because you can set it exactly how you want it before it is shrink wrapped. In addition to your local dealers/mechanics, check craigslist.

BARKLEY

Banned

Ayuh,.... You bein' Lucky, don't make it Right....

Everything to do with boats, has to do with Drainage....

Yer just Lucky the weep holes in yer housings happened to work, 'n not freeze 1st...

The drive should be Down,...
Or, Off, 'n in the garage...
I here you, and understand, but never had a issue.. But my boat does sit in a shop. My wife read what you sent, and our shop is not heated, guess what... the outdrive is down as I type.... Good talkin to you Bro.. P.S. the guy with o/b you are sav:rolleyes::cool::cool:

mklawz

Cadet

thank you, that answers another question I had, if you can even trailer while it's shrink wrapped?

and yes, people are asking serious questions here. Serious answers only please.

chriscraft254

Commander

These are smewhat the steps I take for winterizing the outdrive. Also the shrink wrap company should put a door in for you so you have access through out the winter. Good luck.

1 - Lower the outdrive as far as possible without hitting the ground by pressing the button located on the dashboard.

2 - Remove the vent screw using a flathead screwdriver. The vent screw is located at the top of the outdrive.

3 - Remove the outdrive oil drain screw using a flathead screwdriver. Place a container under the outdrive to catch the lube. Allow the lube to drain from the outdrive. The drain screw is on the back of the outdrive, near the bottom.

4 - Install the hose on the gear lube can. Screw the other end of the hose into the outdrive at the drain screw. Pump the gear lube into the outdrive by pressing down the pump on the gear lube bottle until lube seeps out the vent hole.

5 Remove the pump hose and place the drain plug into position on the outdrive. Tighten the screw using a flathead screwdriver.

6 -Tighten the vent screw using a flathead screwdriver.

7 - Remove the propeller using a propeller wrench. Apply a liberal amount of grease to the drive shaft splines. Reinstall the propeller and tighten the nut.

8 - Store your outdrive in the down position to lubricate the gears throughout the winter and to relax the bellows.

Read more: How to Winterize a Mercruiser Outdrive | eHow.co.uk http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7335043_winterize-mercruiser-outdrive.html#ixzz1Zlm47hVg