I'm really not THAT stupit but

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
You would use the letters ED from the model number to determine the year. The S at the end I believe is a sub-model designation.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
ED are the date letters for '96 The final letter is a production suffix

The code using the letters INTRODUCES for 1 to 0 only applies from 1980 onwards .... Back in 1960 the numbering system was quite different and i dont beleive there was a 50hp model anyway

You second link appears to only list engines from 1980 to 1990

The Official list is at http://shop.evinrude.com/media/docum...rReference.pdf and includes all N. American models right back to the time Noah first fitted an outboard to his ark. Also includes commercial numbers, racing engines, Military engine ets etc.
This is usually the best list to refer to.

Last edited:

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, that suffix threw me off. I checked that link provided, confirmed. Wonder if it affects parts ordering?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Yeah, that suffix threw me off. I checked that link provided, confirmed. Wonder if it affects parts ordering?
Always quote the full model number, including the suffix, when ordering parts. The suffix though will only be relevant if there were any mid year changes

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This boat has a 20" transom, measured top to bottom. Is a long shaft motor appropriate?