I'm Proud of Myself. I had to do it all

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have to Pat myself on the back.

This weekend it was just me and my 9yr son with the boat. I was a nervous nilly having to do the Launch and retrieval myself. I had all my checklists ready for Pre Launch, Launch, Retrieval and Post retrieval. The only oops was I untied the Saftey trailer rope to soon. When I backed the boat down the ramp with my son in the boat the boat starting unreeling itself when it got into the water still hooked to the winch strap. He got out there about 10 feet still attached to the winch strap. I joked with him and said "Your going with Out Me" and we both laughed about it. Shrug! He told his mom about the mistake.

Thanks to all the threads about Solo Boating helped alot even though I wasn't solo I still did everything. I was prepared with all the stuff to tie the boat to the dock when I went to parK and retrieve the trailer. I had ropes and bumpers all ready.

It was a good bonding experience with me and my 9yr son without Mommy. Even though we didn't ski or tube it was fun riding around and swimming. I discovered I like boating even without water sports. I even got him out the door by 6:00am and arrived at the lake at 6:30am. No way possible to get my wife and older boys out the door that early and it was nice to arrive at the lake before the rush.

Ok if you read this far I have more a parenting question.

I left the boat unattended for maybe 10 minutes each time I went to park and retrieve the trailer at the dock. I was nervous doing this having visions of someone releasing the boat by untieing the ropes. I thought of having my 9yr son sit in the boat with Life Jacket on while I dealt with the trailer. So he would be alone in the boat 10 minutes at a time. I think I would be even more nervous leaving him alone than someone untieing the boat. Is he too young to be left in the boat alone? How young is too young to leave kids in boat alone for my situation? Even though he complained about the long walk to park and get the trailer I think I made the right decision. I haven't asked my wife this question because I think I already know the answer.

Sorry for the long post.

This was one of the best boating days so far in my boat ownership. My son is addicted to boating as I am.

David

kfa4303

Banned
Re: I'm Proud of Myself. I had to do it all

Hi AZ. Glad you had a good time and all went well. Not to worry, the more you go the better and faster you'll get at launching and retrieving the boat. Sometimes, just low-key cruising around on the boat are the best trips of all. Kind of like taking a drive for its own sake. When's the last time anyone did that? I know what you mean about leaving the kddo at the ramp while you park the car, but I do it and am not particularly worried. It's a problem ever body faces at sometime, or another. I suppose there is a one in a million chance that something crazy could happen, but it's really not at all very likely and I find that the kids have a lot more fun and are a lot more likely to want to go back if they can be involved in some small way. Even if it is just watching the boat while you park the car. It's a small, but important job that they can take pride in. I think we don't give kids enough credit. They'll almost always surprise your for the better if you give them a little trust and confidence. I think it's more of a disservice to treat them with kid gloves (no pun intended), rather than letting them get involved and learn from trial and error. Perhaps y'all can develop an Oh S@#t pland incase something wacky does happen. Otherwise, be safe, have fun, keep the kids involved and take pics so he can show them off to all his couch potato friends ;) I guarantee they'll be jealous when they see him on the water steering the boat a bit :) Quite frankly, I'm worried about someone inexperienced, or ignorant being left to watch a boat regardless of their age. I've met lots of kids who are way more knowledgeable and experienced around boats and the water than a lot of so called grown ups I've met. As you and your kids go out more, you'll all learn by doing and be pros in no time. Sounds like you've got a plan, the rest is just practice. Keep on taking the kiddies out. They'll remember it forever and have a great time. Happy boating! Vroom-vroom.....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I thought of having my 9yr son sit in the boat with Life Jacket on while I dealt with the trailer. So he would be alone in the boat 10 minutes at a time. I think I would be even more nervous leaving him alone than someone untieing the boat. Is he too young to be left in the boat alone? How young is too young to leave kids in boat alone for my situation?

At that age I was taking a 15' boat out by myself!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies KFA. My wife would say do not leave our 9yr son on the boat alone. My son even said he would watch the boat while I dealt with the trailer.

As far as speed. I don't think I could have launch and retrieved the boat any faster. I looked like a well oiled machine. Checklist and routine in hand. I give credit to you fine Iboat people out there getting me prepared.

My wife and two teen age boys don't have the boating love as I do. I could go out ever weekend. On the other hand my 9yr has that love. He is more wired like me. Gets up early and ready to go and hes love boating.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At that age I was taking a 15' boat out by myself!

I'm guessing you were exposed to boating at even an early age. We have had our boat two years now so boating is still new to my 9yr.

UncleWillie

Captain

If he is a mature 9 and you allow him to operate the boat while you are with him, he should be responsible enough to "Guard the Boat" while you park the trailer.

It is time for him to take a boating safety course. BoatUS has an online course that is no charge.
Teach him to tie a proper Cleat Hitch and then have HIM tie the boat up before you go to park the trailer.
A PFD on him, and the key in YOUR pocket should be sufficient.

On the way back stop just in sight of the boat and watch him for a few seconds to see that he hasn't been screwing around while you were out of sight should answer your concerns.

Edit:
If he has expressed that he wants to guard the boat, so much the better.
Arizona will allow him to operate solo at 12 years old.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a great day! Definite memories being made. From the big things down to the small that have just past by me but stuck out to her, my oldest girl never ceases to amaze me each time she looks at me and says "Remember that time".

Even though most of my boats have been smaller tinnys that are easier to launch than your boat, I've always launched solo for the most part. Any time I get a new boat it still makes me apprehensive since each boat is always that little bit different. Now that you've gotten past the first time and know what to watch for it's all down hill from here.

As far as the old enough that's just something you have to have that gut feeling about. When my oldest was 5-7 I used to do the same thing, launch, tie up, both of us park the truck, and walk back. But the more we did it and she got a bit older(8-10) I watched her become more comfortable with all the boat things from being on the dock, tying it off, getting in the boat, ect. and performed the tasks supervised. Now (11) I know she can handle it because she's done it before and it has turned into me pushing the boat off and throwing the bow rope to her to tie off while I go park.

shrew

Lieutenant

Whether it's ok to leave the kid unattended to watch the boat while you're gone for a brief period to retrieve the vehicle and trailor is between you and your wife. The opinions of random strangers is irrelevant.

At 8 I used to have to walk home from the school bus stop (This is BEFORE the school buses stopped at every house like they seem to do nowadays), unlocked the door to an empty house and had to fend for myself for the next 4 hours each day. My first respsonsibility in the winter time was to start a fire in the wood stove and keep it going until my parents got home from work. My second job was to make sure the wood room in the cellar was full. However, I think times were different back then.......or parents were. (one or the other).

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think my son need to mature a little more before he really starts having boating responsibilites. Also I think him and I need to go out alone more so we both get more experience together. It was different without my wife taking up some of the boating work load. I missed her dearly and I told her. I'm not going to force boating on any of my family members. It's up to them if they want to go. He is old enough to read the online boating course. Good Idea. I wish I got my Teens involved into boating earlier in life. Now they are into Electronics, Electronics and more Electronics.

I need to sit down and talk with my wife. I know she is going to disapprove my son sitting in the boat alone. I want to know why. Is it because of the many strangers around or is it water safety. He is a good swimmer and always wears a life jacket.

He didn't complain about the walk after Parking the trailer. He complained about the walk to get the trailer. I think it was just above a 100 degrees yesterday. Hotter walking on asphalt.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey AZ ... Good job on talking with your wife: I like guys who talk it out and sometimes I think it's rare.

As for your son ... is there a reason he needs to "guard" the boat? At his age, size and strength he'll be unsuccessful against someone who wants to get/hurt/raid your boat, y'know? He's not necessarily too young to hang there with her and make sure she doesn't float away, but there are a host of other things that "could" happen possibly not making it worth it.

On the positive side - there are a host of Dad/Son seamanship things that can be trained back and forth from boat to tow rig. Did we tie off on the pier in a secure way? Is the trailer set to retrieve the boat when we get back? Did we double check the plug? etc, etc, etc ... My son is 13, and I do let him hang with the boat sometimes while I park (I can see the boat the whole time) - but all of my kids have been with me in the back and forth to the van and trailer too.

... but I'm with you on those 100? walks to get the traier! Sheesh :p

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Bonding with pops is one of the best things ever, and i'm thinking your son and you have a good relationship. But the question on leaving him for 10 minutes is really up to each child and parent. There is no set age when a boy or girl can be left to watch for a few minutes. If you raised a wimpy kid that can't chew gum and walk, you might think twice. Like others mentioned here, I was on my own with my own boat at that age running the shores of Lake Huron, thinking I was captain Cook!! But I also could swim and had been taught how to manage a boat/motor. You and your wife know the answer to what you have to work with and when is the right time to give him this responsability. Have fun with it, and he will be ready to drive before you know it.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies.

I think I would worry more about him being left alone than the boat being left alone. Even though he offered to protect the boat what could he have really done any way. He is a skinny but not wimpy kid. The boat is insured if anything happens. If someone released the boat I think a good person would retrieve for me or I take a swim for it. If he got hurt or something and I wasn't there I wouldn't forgive myself. I think he needs more growing up to do before I leave him alone. I think 12yr might be a good age for him to start taking on Captian duties.

I understand alot of you have been been a boater at a young age so handling a boat at 9yr is no big deal.

Thanks for the comments.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I don't have any children yet, so take this fwiw. I would say leaving him there with instructions to just sit in the seat, I've had my 11 year old sister help me out, but the parking lot is only about a hundred feet from the launch. Just my 2 cents... if you are uncomfortable, then by all means take him with you!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I was handling a 10 ft skiff by my self at 7 and my grand dads 28 ft cabin cruzer at 10 while the adults sat in the back deck and had a few and my 3 daughters were handling my 175 hp bow rider by 12. grins, They catch on real fast and do very well.

And I will add this the ramp its self makes a huge difference about leaving a child unattended for a few minutes. Some places I will and others ain't no way.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The ramp is not visible from the Parking Lot. This has me concerned as I cannot see him or the boat.

southkogs

Staff member

The ramp is not visible from the Parking Lot. This has me concerned as I cannot see him or the boat.

I think I would worry more about him being left alone than the boat being left alone ... If he got hurt or something and I wasn't there I wouldn't forgive myself.
Looks like you just answered your own questions right there, bro.

I think he needs more growing up to do before I leave him alone. I think 12yr might be a good age for him to start taking on Captian duties.
The extra walkin' can be part of the trainin', y'know? "Brief" and "debrief" before and after - have fun in the middle ;)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Southkogs Thinking and posting about this I have decided what is best. You summed it up nicely.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think your being a good father bud and only you know when the young man will be ready to man watch so don't worry about it, I can't wait for the day you come on here to tell us you have officially promoted him to first mate!

I hear ya, my kids are much older then yours and I still worry when they are in charge of my Boat while I am getting the trailer, I never knew I could still run that fast!! LOL

southkogs

Staff member

Southkogs Thinking and posting about this I have decided what is best. You summed it up nicely.
... just connected a couple of your dots with ya'. Keep up the good work, dad :cool:

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't know our doors even had locks on them when I was a kid. It is a different world today. I would never leave him alone for the time it takes to get your truck. You can always replace the boat. That is why you have insurance. Besides, the walking will do him good.