I'm not only an idiot, but lazy too!

Erik-The-Red

Cadet
Ok heres the deal..... and please take it easy on me, I KNOW I screwed up......

The following story concerns my 2001 Glastron 175 SX, Volvo Penta (GM) 3.0-equipped.......

At the end of the 2008 season, we took a short boat trip to the lake. We didn't do any skiing or tubing or any of that, just a cruise to the beach and back. Now normally, when I get the boat back on the trailer the first thing I do is pull the plug and let it drain any water that might have accumulated during our weekend. I usually leave the plug out until we get home and then pop it back in before I put the boat in the garage. However, on this trip, I decided not to bother with pulling the plug as I knew there wasn't any water to worry about. Not only that, but I didn't put the boat in the garage, either--- I got lazy. Welp, sure as heck, a couple days later it POURED RAIN for two days straight. I went out and threw the cover on the boat and left it. It continued to rain for several more days, and little did I know, the cover had ripped and was letting the rain fill the boat. A week or two (or even three) later, I went out to the boat to get something and as soon as I stepped over the side, SPLOOSH..... I was damn near ankle-deep. The rear of the boat was full of water, completely filling the engine well and up to about the rear seats. I immediately pulled the plug and let it drain (took like 30 minutes), but it was too late. The starter, the bilge blower, and the bottom half of the engine had sat underwater for at least two weeks, WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTED. I didn't have any time to mess with it as we were just getting ready to move into our new fixer-upper, and just this past weekend was the first time I've had to really get into it.

First thing I noticed was the starter solenoid, caked with a good 1/2" of rust and corrosion all over the wire connections. As soon as I took the wire brush to it two of the ring connectors broke off. I got the connections all cleaned up and replaced what was broken and put the battery on the charger, getting it up to 13.8 volts and holding. I checked the oil, other connections and whatnot for damage (the only other thing I've found so far is the bilge blower won't run) and turned on the key. Good news, all my lights, warning buzzer, and accessories work fine. But what doesn't work is the starter. I took the starter off and removed the solenoid to find all sorts of white and red corrosion inside, so I'm guessing I fried it or seized it up or something. When I turn the key I can hear a faint "click", I'm guessing thats the relay?

Anyhow, I told you that whole story to get to these questions:

1. How do I test the starter to see if works outside the boat?

2. If it won't, is it repairable or should I just buy a new one? Maybe just the solenoid took a crap?

3. If I get a new one, whats the Volvo / GM part number and is the starter available from AutoZone or some such place? Do these starters cross-reference to a standard GM / Delco or other part? (I know my distributer cap and rotor did, and it saved me a BUNCH of money)

3. What other things should I be looking for (possible damage) after the "incident"?

Thank you guys for any help or advice! I hope this doesn't turn out to be overly expensive, or we may have to sit this summer on the bench. :(

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm not only an idiot, but lazy too!

Did you do any winterization at all? That starter is probably toast. Could take it to autozone to get it tested but that is it. Cant use an auto starter on it. The marine one is sealed to stop spark in an enclosed motor area where gas vapors could build up. When you say you checked the oil did you drain it to see if water got in? If you didnt I would. Also as far as the distributor cap I think you need a marine one of those also but not sure as to why. I think it has to do with it not having a vent. But others may correct me on that. Does it freeze where you are. If it does and you didnt do any winterization like draining the block and manifolds you MAY have more issues or MIGHT have gotten lucky?

Ned L

Commander

Cooter is pretty much right that the electrical parts for marine engines (starter, alternator, fuel pump, (& I too think) dist. cap) are designed so that they can't allow sparks out & blow you up. As for your starter, if you have pulled it off I'd see if you can turn the Bendix drive by hand (or pry it over with a screwdriver). If you can't it is probably ruined.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any starter/alternator shop in town can check and rebuild the starter for you at a far less expense than new. Install a new solenoid at the same time. You can bench test the starter by connecting one jumper cable to the large terminal on the solenoid and the other end to the POS terminal of a battery. COnnect the other cable to the NEG terminal of the battery and the case of the starter. Use a screwdrive to jump the small terminal (S) on the solenoid and the large terminal. Hang onto the starter firmly as it will spin off the bench.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

As others have said, most auto parts stores will test the starter for you.

We buy all the parts for our Volvo's at Napa. They have a book with all the part numbers and such. Just replaced our caps, buttons, and impellers that we bought from napa. :)

scipper77

Commander

Water in the flotation foam kills stringers. please ask the guys in the restoration section what you need to do to save your stringers and transom from rotting out.

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

Thanks guys!

Just tested the starter on the bench, I get nuthin' but sparks on the solenoid terminals when I jump it by the "screwdriver method". Time for a new starter.

My boat is a 2001 Glastron, it doesn't have any wood in the hull or the floor anywhere--- its all fiberglass, nothing to rot. The only wood in the boat is the seatbacks and seat bottoms.

I have not drained the oil completely yet, but I will.

I appreciate the help!

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

I suggest an automatic bilge pump!

Thats good advice...... but unnecessary advice. My dumb-***** should have never let it happen in the first place. Ah well, you live and you learn. I had to learn the hard way about not forgetting to put the plug in, too.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Thats good advice...... but unnecessary advice...

WRONG!

It is totally necessary, it doesn't only rain when boats are on trailers.what would the outcome have been if:

you were at the lake for the weekend, with the boat floating, when a big storm blows through? Happens every year, and adding a float switch is cheap and simple.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many boats are "sunk" on land every year from forgetting to pull the drain plug after a day on the lake.. At least you aren't the only one. Still a real bummer though

bhammer

Ensign

Thats good advice...... but unnecessary advice.

No, it is neccessay.... Was at the lake a couple years ago and we were beached talking with a bunch of buds. One guy was doing all the tubing and skiing for the kids in his 19' that didn't have an automatic. About half way through the day, he got in started to tow and realized his stern was way to low in the water. Stopped and added even more water to the issue as his wake came back up over the boat. He was lucky enough to be able to turn on him pump and get water out before sinking. Another 30 minutes and it would have been too late. Come to find out, he ended up with a huge tear in his bellow that was letting water in while we were beached. An auto bilge would have alerted him to the problem....

spktho

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys!

My boat is a 2001 Glastron, it doesn't have any wood in the hull or the floor anywhere--- its all fiberglass, nothing to rot. The only wood in the boat is the seatbacks and seat bottoms.

I appreciate the help!

Are you sure about this? Maybe glassed over wood? Is there foam that may be soaked now?

edjunior

Seaman

I can certainly attest to the need for an auto bilge pump. My boat has one, but I was sure the auto part didn't work. I would put it in auto, and see a little water in the bilge, but it would never pump it out. Switch to manual, and out spits the water. Well, first run of this season, I found the auto does indeed work. It just takes a little more water than I ever had in the bilge before. Turns out I am also guilty of a dumb*** attack. Somehow I overlooked the tightening of the drain petcocks on each side of the block (I hate it when it's on your checklist and still manage to overlook it!). Luckily they don't spew a lot of water, but surely enough to kick the auto in on the bilge pump. And also enough to let me know I have a problem. So, there's my 2 cents worth!