I'm looking for help on mounting a transducer

redrazor4u2

Recruit
I just purchased a used 2010 Gregor H42L fishing boat, from the second owner on record. I also purchased a new Hummingbird Helix Series Fishfinder. I'm wanting your expert opinions as to the best location & mounting method for mounting the transducer?
Please respond ASAP

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did your new Humminbird come with instructions?

Please respond ASAP

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Never heard of a helix so I googled it. Looks like a nice unit. If the instructions were omitted from the box, you can download them. Humminbird has the most concise and detailed instructions of any of the sonar companies, including pictures. Much more than we could type on a web site. Their Transducer installation instructions are right on.

redrazor4u2

Recruit
Did your new Humminbird come with instructions?

Please respond ASAP
Yes, the Hummingbird did come with instructions, but I've been told that I needed to find out from the manufacturer where the best location is to mount a transducer to their product. I didn't get any owner's manual when I purchased the boat. And I have not been able to get anyone at Gregor Boats to answer the phone. I understand that they had a massive fire to their manufacturing building and are waiting for it to be rebuilt.

redrazor4u2

Recruit
Never heard of a helix so I googled it. Looks like a nice unit. If the instructions were omitted from the box, you can download them. Humminbird has the most concise and detailed instructions of any of the sonar companies, including pictures. Much more than we could type on a web site. Their Transducer installation instructions are right on.
Thank all who have responded to this thread. As I told the other person I was told to contact the manufacturer of the boat for the best location to mount the transducer on their boat/product. I do have the installation instructions. I called a boat mechanic and he said he'd install it for a 1.5-hour job at a $90.00 an hour charge. I'm thinking about it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank all who have responded to this thread. As I told the other person I was told to contact the manufacturer of the boat for the best location to mount the transducer on their boat/product. I do have the installation instructions. I called a boat mechanic and he said he'd install it for a 1.5-hour job at a $90.00 an hour charge. I'm thinking about it.
Boy I'd like to have his job. Its a 30 minute job and all you need is a drill.

Unless the boat manufacturer installs ducers as an OEM option, I doubt that they would have a clue.

Mount it half way between the keel and the chine, or half way between strakes if you have them. It should be vertical and fill the holes with 5200. The elevation should be as specified by Humminbird, e.g., what the manual says.

Its easy peasy. If still in doubt, put a piece of blue tape across the transom and put marks every inch, with a number ID. Post the picture and we can tell you what number to put it.

redrazor4u2

Recruit
Boy I'd like to have his job. Its a 30 minute job and all you need is a drill.

Unless the boat manufacturer installs ducers as an OEM option, I doubt that they would have a clue.

Mount it half way between the keel and the chine, or half way between strakes if you have them. It should be vertical and fill the holes with 5200. The elevation should be as specified by Humminbird, e.g., what the manual says.

Its easy peasy. If still in doubt, put a piece of blue tape across the transom and put marks every inch, with a number ID. Post the picture and we can tell you what number to put it.
I thank you for your timely response. I'd like to tackle it, I'm just a little reluctant in doing any damage to the transom and then once it's on it doesn't work like it's supposed to. If I'm seated at the tiller handle which side of the transom (port or starboard) should the transducer be placed or does it matter?

I'm thinking I want to put the battery forward towards the stern in order to shift some weight from the rear of the boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I thank you for your timely response. I'd like to tackle it, I'm just a little reluctant in doing any damage to the transom and then once it's on it doesn't work like it's supposed to. If I'm seated at the tiller handle which side of the transom (port or starboard) should the transducer be placed or does it matter?

I'm thinking I want to put the battery forward towards the stern in order to shift some weight from the rear of the boat.
Now you've given more info.

If its a tiller, where will you mount the head? It doesn't technically matter which side you mount the ducer, but usually the wiring is simplified if you mount it on the same side as the head.

Sounds like you don't have a battery? If the engine doesn't need one and you are installing one for the depthfinder, then mount the battery right under the head. Again, simple wiring. Also, why not just buy a small watercraft battery. You will have to charge it daily anyway, so that size won't have any effect on the boat's dynamics.