I'm going to the pet store.

Fishbusters

Ensign
Coppied dirrectly from Bizarre news. Bizarre news is a twice a week e-mail newsletter. http://www.bizarrenews.com <br />SKUON, Cambodia - What may seem to most to be a challenge on Fear Factor is a delicacy among the people of Skuon. People here support themselves and their families by selling fried, palm-sized tarantulas in what is otherwise an impoverished farmland community. Described as crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside, these spiders are black, hairy with venomous fangs before they are fried. One local said, "They taste a bit like crickets, only much better." I think I'll take his word on it.

gonfishn

Commander
Re: I'm going to the pet store.

Be surprised what you will eat when hungry. Lizards aren't bad when roasted over an open pit. Ever tasted a Baloot? Just don't leave it in the ground over two Weeks.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Nope no Baloot. I like Phillipeno food just fine I especially am fond of lumpia but I refuse to eat Baloot as well as a few other things they do/make.

gonfishn

Commander

Took the Baloot dare after a night of San Miguel and Butterflying around into the world of the Wild thing. Just Pop the top and hold your nose.<br /><br /> Ah those were the days...........1970 and doing a little RnR in Sin City........ <br /><br />Used a little different bait back then called American Money..

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

OH H#LL NOOOOO.<br /><br />YUCKWOOD.

ebbtide176

Commander

i hadda look baloot up - sounds about as yummy as eating a pickled buzzard. eeeeeeee :(

mshirley

Cadet

Is Baloot where they let a chicken egg partially develop? I remember that from my navy days. Never ate it though, All I would eat in Phillipines was pizza and was leary of that.

Quiller

Cadet

Nasty little eating method, that baloot. The egg(duck egg, traditionally) is fertilized and partially developed. You then poke a small hole in the egg and suck the "juice" out of it. When the juice is gone, you crack open the egg and eat the little critter inside it. It tastes about as bad as it sounds. The partially developed duck is soft and easily eaten... I just had trouble getting over the whole idea of it. I was in Manilla in '76 and the family my wife and I stayed with served baloot because it's one of their finest delicasies. Much like serving lobster here. We both ate all of it because of the great expense our hosts went through to serve it. We even did it with a smile! My wife and I joked about it all the time to each other when we ate something we didn't like from time to time - "It sure beats baloot" she'd say. :)

ebbtide176

Commander

quiller, you made me think of the time i was at a friends house for dinner. his wife was Thai. <br /><br />we had been working on a car and i noticed (by smell) some small (4") panfish hanging on strings from the porch like garlands. they were threaded thru the body with many fish on each string, but separated, to dry out. but they were whole fish, eyes,scales,guts,etc.<br /><br />guess what was on my plate, alongside the rice and veggies... they looked fried crispy, so as i smiled and opened wide i was thinking 'this better be completely fried, cause if its gooey on the inside i'm in trouble'. <br /><br />it was crunchy and was more or less a fishy potato chip. whew!

gonfishn

Commander

Any Vet who spent anytime in WestPac during the 60s know it was a different World back then.<br /><br />Things we normally step on here are either fried or covered in some kind of sweet Goo and eaten as snacks over there.<br /><br />We use to go on MedCaps in the surrounding Vills to give Shots or treat the Ill. It was nothing to see someones favorite pet,Flayed and curing on someones Roof in Honor of Us. Usually the head Honcho would invite us to some Down Home Cooking after the Medcap.<br /><br />We learned early not to ask what was being served. Not wanting to insult the host, Inquires were kept at a Low Key.<br /><br />Any of you older Vets know what I'm saying even though you may not want to admit it.(been there done that}<br /><br />P.S....The Baloots I know of were buried to hurry the process along. Yum Yum.............

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Opps-- <br />You will eat alot of strange things to survive, and to not cause unkind feelings especially in a different country or area.<br /><br />Had the Baloot, dog, monkey, snake, and what I think was parrot.<br /><br />Thank goodness for down home cooking. ;)

Kelly Ann

Cadet

Crunchy/gooey spiders, and liquid chickens. Mmmmmm!<br /><br />I thought the raw chicken the husband ate on a survival hike was bad. He said it wasn't too awful until he started getting full...