Im going the wrong way!

Bensonontheboat

Recruit
I bought a rebuilt Borg Warner 71c velvet drive with v-drive.on Ebay for my 1988 30 ft Tollycraft she is powered with 2 counter rotating 270 crusaders. During my purchase the seller told me that the transmission would pair up with my starboard engine, he said the tag on my old transmission must be wrong. So after 5000.00 in parts and stuff I pulled my engine, switched out the transmission and reinstalled everything and she runs great! except... forward is reverse and reverse is forward.
any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
The 71C can be changed to run opposite but the pump has to be changed on front of the transmission. Look at the front of the trans pump. Look for the LH and RH printing on the front housing pump.

If the case allows the pump to be rotated then it should run opposite rotation. Don't run the trans by swapping cables around

Velvet 71C pump.jpg

Bensonontheboat

Recruit
The 71C can be changed to run opposite but the pump has to be changed on front of the transmission. Look at the front of the trans pump. Look for the LH and RH printing on the front housing pump.

If the case allows the pump to be rotated then it should run opposite rotation. Don't run the trans by swapping cables around

View attachment 353675
I agree with you. this is how I understand the effect of the orientation only effects the pumping of the hydraulic fluids, in the correct position hydraulic pressure and this pressure enables the transmission to change gears. In the wrong orientation the transmission will not shift. The orientation does not change the direction of the rotation of the transmission?

alldodge

Staff member
Changing the pump orientation changes the how much pressure is used and in what direction. The pump has to be placed in the correct place.

Changing props will work but parking and performance will be an issue.

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW I did not know this.........I'm assuming this is how some boats achieve counter rotation rather than reverse rotation engines?

alldodge

Staff member
WOW I did not know this.........I'm assuming this is how some boats achieve counter rotation rather than reverse rotation engines?
Yes, and should add this doesn't work for the higher gear reduction drives like 2.1 (guessing but could look it it)

Nicolewq

Recruit
When you realize that your going the wrong way and you don't want to be embarrassed so you look at your watch or you pull out your phone and guess what,Nobody's watching you unless your in the mafia.

Liteblue

Bensonontheboat

Recruit
On a standard install counter rotating motors do the trick. With a Borg Warner Velvet transmission with a V drive you can keep the rotation of the engine by using a gear v drive or you can use a chain drive to “Chain” change the direction at the prop to create counter rotation with 2 of the same rotation motors.

Bensonontheboat

Recruit
I bought a rebuilt Borg Warner 71c velvet drive with v-drive.on Ebay for my 1988 30 ft Tollycraft she is powered with 2 counter rotating 270 crusaders. During my purchase the seller told me that the transmission would pair up with my starboard engine, he said the tag on my old transmission must be wrong. So after 5000.00 in parts and stuff I pulled my engine, switched out the transmission and reinstalled everything and she runs great! except... forward is reverse and reverse is forward.
any suggestions?
Well I talked to Ron. 3000 miles away and after two conversation he’s decided he mistakenly sent me the wrong transmission and he will be sending me a new transmission with a gear drive this time. I will return this transmission after I switch em out. I know I have to do double the work but that doesn’t matter to me, I need to have this right. I’m happy the guys sending the correct transmission!