I'm done helping my adult kids!

brother chris

Commander
Re: I'm done helping my adult kids!

So this is what I have to look forward to when my kids grow up. <br />Someone help me :eek: <br />Well, hopefully everything will work out for you SS.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have already sworn to the kids they will get POS used cars for their first, even if I win the lottery. If they want a new car, get it themselves.<br /><br />I was the last kid in the house, I got an old car (it was fixed up) and I loved that car. I also had a job to pay for things I wanted. Sure they payed for insurance, but I payed for most everything else.<br /><br />I will raise my kids to be like me. I borrow from my parents, but I always pay it back, even when they INSIST I dont pay it. I throw it on the table and walk out of the house.<br /><br />One thing is important. Communicate how you feel to your children. My parents and my sister dont talk as much as they used to due to some bad feelings. I think it would all be cleared up with a 10 minute conversation. You dont have to win or lose the argument, just tell them how you feel. Its up to them after that, you did your part.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> I have already sworn to the kids they will get POS used cars for their first, even if I win the lottery. If they want a new car, get it themselves.
The only way to fly, KZM. They might moan and groan but a bit of tough love goes a long way before pushing them out of the nest. You may remember my post on resurrecting the PONTIAC SUNBIRD for my 17 year olds first car. <br /><br />He was upset about it, wanted a 95 T-Bird, but he got his hands greasy, paid me the $500 that it all cost and now he's driving it and has gotten over it. <br /><br />PS he still has a bank account full of money and he is now appreciative.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If it helps you any Mayfloat, my 40-ish year old brother-in-law has had several cars bought for him and his family, as well as a few houses and countless hordes of cash. The parents do this because he keeps getting back with his ex-wife, and she keeps draining the bankaccount and taking off in the new car that was just bought for them. It has been an endless cycle. It happened again this year, right when we really needed help. My wife never asks her parents for help, but we needed help to get into a house. We don't want a free ride, we just need to get in the door. I have great credit but don't make enough on paper, and the wife has bad credit so her income doesn't count. I can't qualify for a mortage for anything much better than a Unabomber shack. They were willing to help us, but their money is tied up in escrow on a property sale (a million dollar commercial property), so we are in renter limbo right now. They need to invest their money in something, so a house for us is as good a thing as any. The brother in law has been helped out once again, but his trump card, the teenage son, turns 18 this year, and the parents have said they will no longer help once their grandchild has turned 18 and moved out. Basically, what I am saying is that parents should help their kids when they are in dire straights, but it can never be allowed to be a continued thing. It is unfortunate you get to deal with this, but it is never too late to cut 'em off. Good luck...

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I am a liberal. Always have been and always will be. I am a moderate. Got married and my wife had a sister who had taken her for alot of money , just trying to help. After married just informed her that if she ever gave anything to her I would be gone in a heart beat. Brought up once, no money.<br /> My daughter is now in college. I have informed her after she graduates, guess what, on her own. <br /> Give them a helping hand. After that they are on their own as I was and I expect everyone should be. This does not mean not helping if not their own doing. It means not helping when it is their fault.<br /> Something that today is missing. In buisness they steal and then say I didn't know anything about the finance end(just give me the money). In the government they say I had bad info(The buck stops here). <br /> Nothing is differnt today than it was through out history. If you follow the wrong path then it is your fault. Do not try to rationalize that you<br />have extenuating problems. Own up to it.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Just after the lawers and doctors are thru with me, the 20 year old grandson shows up. I had not seen him for over a year, no money, no place to stay, not much to wear, missed court date and headed to jail. No help from parents, who could care less. So far, back in school, has transportation, working, only one court problem left to handle. He is now staying with his mother(I live with sister no place for him). I see him every day for a talk, and reminder he has one chance only for my school support, one mistake and hes on his own again. So far he is doing great, goes to church with me without pressure, calls me 2 times a day for check in. I pray every day for his sucess.

clanton

Rear Admiral

JasonJ have you looked at a VA loan, they used to have more then one program.

Skinnywater

Commander

SS, :) <br /><br />It's hard for nice guys to say no. I'm glad your working on it. <br />Once you're able to say no better, you'll find there's less feelings of being taken for granted.<br />Less resentment for being taken for granted and more overall happiness.<br /><br />Once you get to this point you can go back to helping on a case by case basis. Instead of you being the one everyone runs to at the sign of first trouble, it would be nice if they exausted a few options first, on thier own.<br />Communicate this clearly to your family. <br /><br />Apologies to your son-inlaw for his hurt pride and feelings, nothing more.<br /><br />Have a quiet, fun, outstanding, Florida vacation with your bride, SS. ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sorry for not updating yesterday afternoon, but the saga continues.<br /><br />Let me describe the SIL/SOB that is the problem here. I have been calling him a SIL even though he is not married to my step daughter. He is about 5'10", 350+lbs, no teeth (has some but won't wear them) tongue piereced, and comes from generations of welfare receipiants. He knows more about social programs for getting money than a democrat. He has another child that he is doing his best to support. Courts forced him to start a bank account to handle the Child Support. 5 years ago he got a felony assult for beating his uncle so bad, his uncle was in the hospital for 2 to 3 weeks. He has also got one domestic violence against him, the second time will be another felony! This guy problably could hurt me bad if we would get physical, but I havn't tucked my tail and backed down. I just get back into his face to let him know I'm not threatened by his size and smell.<br /><br />Last night I was really so hot and mad I had good reasons to call the sheriff (but didn't). My wife asked me about what we were going to do about the cell phone. I told her that it was up to her since the phone was added on to our account for her daughter.<br /><br />So my best half called her daughter and asked her about the phone. Well, it seens that her daughter has now been turned against her mom. She was saying stuff on the phone that downright hurt my wifes feelings. She was blaming me for everything that has happened and that I'm the controlling one. (Yes I'm in control of the money, so I guess I'm controlling). Then the so called SIL got on the phone and rehashed everthing that happened the night before. Again we just wanted to know if the wanted to continue to pay and use the phone or not. <br /><br />Wife finially hung up on them and said she was going over to get the phone. To make a long story short, the SIL/SOB said it was me that sent her over to get the phone. WAS NOT! it was my wifes idea to get the phone. So he got mad and slammed the phone to the ground. Then a piece of it flew into the window hitting my wifes arm leaving a welt, burise, and small cut. Of course she drove off with an injury and hurt feelings. I wanted to call the sheriff and place charges on the butt munch, but the wife said her daughter needs him right now regardless of what is going on. Cause if I did call, he would have been locked up. Then when he would get out, there would be no guessing on what he would do then.<br /><br />It just makes me mad that he has influenced 3 people in my life that I considered family. This low life is not even good enough to marry my stepdaughter, but then it is a good idea if they don't.<br /><br />Right now we are going to stand our ground, turn down all replies for any type help, and turn away from any communications from them.<br /><br />Eventually the 3 we love most will come to their senses when SIL/SOB turns on them. It is just a matter of time.<br /><br />Then about the repair to my truck. The dumb butt didn't event take into consideration of my ability to fix my truck myself. It was an insult to me that he wanted someone else to fix my truck. For pete's sake, I'm a maintenance person, if fix broken things. DUH! After 3 years, you think he would have undestood that I have the capability to do such. But if it doesn't benefit him directly, he doesn't care and remember.<br /><br />Thanks for your reply's and support. It is greatly appreaciated.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by clanton:<br /> I pray every day for his sucess.
Of everything your doing, that's the best. Your a good Grandpap. I salute you! :)

KaGee

Admiral

SS... <br /><br />Your step daughter needs some counciling! My God, why do these women ever get hooked up with these scum-bags, much less live with them. :mad: <br /><br />Hang in there guy, we're pulling for ya.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

agree with good advice given SS. will only add<br />a couple things... 1) if he didn't want to be<br />obligated to you, then he shouldn't have accepted<br />yur help! (been there) 2) made my 16yr. old son<br />get a job in the hopes he would learn about the<br />real value of a hard days work. we don't need the<br />money and he was pretty upset at the time, but<br />hopefully it's a step in the right direction to<br />become a man and not a boy... yur SIL is still just<br />a big boy, not a man IMHO.<br />good luck buddy!<br />M.Y.

SCO

Lieutenant

There's no talking here. Once the gravy train ends(you) this POS will extricate himself from your SD's life, unless she starts supporting him. Watch your back SS. I do fear that he will blame you or daughter when he is cut off, but what choice do you or daughter have? Nobody needs a phone. That's a luxury that I have lived without before.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Talked to my wife today at noon. She talked to the oldest daughter to find out where she stands on this problem. The daughter said she is not part of it and is mad her husband (oldest SIL) for giving back the tires. She told him that I never have held anything over their heads for the past 7 years! Then my wife told her about SIL/SOB smashing her phone (christmas gift) and a piece of it hitting her arm. That made the daughter mad. My wife also added to her that if they didn't want anything hanging over their head that we would be over to get the washer, dryer, and fridge. Yep... my step daughter is going to put my oldest SIL in the doghouse.<br /><br />Hopefully that the older ones will start to understand that the POS/SIL is getting mad over something that he misunderstood. He can't be to brilliant to keep being mad over something that was taken wrong. I just hope my younger step daughter doesn't end up having any more offspring from this idiot.<br /><br />Oh, he does work. Drives city cab from 4pm to 4am. He gets to split half of what fares he makes.(which isn't much) A week ago a female driver got shot. So now he is scared its going to happen to him. I can understand, but get over it. His problem is he cannot leave the past alone and can't get over situations easy. With that attitude, he will never get far.<br /><br />He got his CDL about 2 years ago. Started driving for Swift. Two weeks prior to his release, he made the statement that his co-driver and him wasn't getting along. Then all of a sudden he was home and job was done with. I think he got mad at his driver like he did me and then they booted his can out! There has to be a reason why he can't get a job driving truck with all the demands for drivers like there are.<br /><br />Okay, I feel better now. Thanks....

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS<br /><br />All too common these days.. It's amazing how the willing horse is whipped.. the more you give the less respect you get. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Like Nosleep says<br />"Opportunity at the door" ... May be the time to start putting Mr and Mrs Mayfloat at the top of the priority list. Was there anyone around for you guys in your mid 20's, running around helping you ?? And if so, did you appreciate it ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The people I turned to when it was time to leave the nest was the US Navy. Uncle Sam took real good care of me. The military is the best service to build the best Americans there are in my opinion.

Homerr

Commander

The Wife and I often considered heading for Taho or Hawaii for Christmas...<br /><br />Personally... Holidays are a big pain in the backside around here... Seems like there's always a fight about something.<br /><br />Cut them off SS... You have to.<br /><br />My kids aren't that old yet, but I'm sure I'll get my taste of your dilemma soon!<br /><br />H.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

SS, I hear where your coming from, I feel for you, but I don't have an answer. Some of what your saying sounds like my on problems.<br /><br />I don't owe but about 7,000.00 on bills, I'm 50 years old. The wife and I are really thinking about selling out and moving to south LA. But thats being rash, I can"t leave because of my elderly parents just down the road. So, I"ll stay and face my problems.

one more cast

Captain

Its really hard to watch your kids struggle but its a good lesson for them. You may not always be around to help them out so its good to know they can survive on there own.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Grandsons court problem resolved, he will be back to school and work Friday.