I'm done helping my adult kids!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
For the past 7 years I have done my best on helping my wifes daughters and their husbands kids. <br /><br />The oldest has been doing well. They hadn't owed us anything for the last 2 years. However I sold them a set of tires of their car that I had originally got of the youngest. When that car broke down, they removed the tires and gave them to the oldest for their car. So I removed that debt from the youngest bill.<br /><br />From helping with rent, electric bill, utilities, and vehicle maintenance, the young ones ran up a hefty bill. Knowing that they don't have much money coming in and looking for a good job they needed a phone. So we got them a cell phone. They have paid on it so far.<br /><br />Yesterday, both SIL's needed my bucket truck to haul scrap. When they brought my truck back they said they had good news and bad news. HUH? In short, they ripped my hitch off the back of my truck while pulling out a metal pole that was in the ground. :mad: The hitch was a welded on half inch steel plate. The welds busted and bent the half inch plate! All he could say is that it would have broke off while towing my boat. DUH, I had been pulling trees 2' in diameter out of tree lines, pulled shrubs out, plus pulling a small mini excavator on a big trailer. It showed no signs of coming loose. They argued that they did not jerk on it to get it out. But with my knowledge on metal fatigue, it shows that it was a sudden quick jerk that busted the welds. Had another friend that is welder by trade confirm that it was a fractured weld that was over stressed.<br /><br />He offered to pay to have it fixed. I asked him how is he going to pay for that if he can't pay us on what he owes us. The friggen idiot exploded and started yelling a screaming at me for bringing up what he owes me. So he gets the keys to his Taurus that I just spent 85 bucks on for brakes, but still not fixed. (earlier post) He took it because he didn't want anything of his in my way. I also let him park a boat on my property that is worthless. No motor or outdrive. He was asking $750 for it. I did tell him numerous times that he would be lucky to get a hundred out of it.<br /><br />Anyway I told him last night that if he gives me the title to the boat I would clear his bill. So he brought my Honda Accord back (which I let them use until the Taruas was fixed) and the title to the boat. He continued to be all mad, still yelling and screaming. My wife and I both tried to get him to calm down and talk things over. He just kept it up. His main complaint was about me bringing up the money he owes me. Now this is the first time I had ever mentioned to him about his bill. I still feel that he had no right to get mad at me over the bill. After all it was him that asked for the help.<br /><br />Wife and I are really hurt over this ordeal. So now our policy is no more help to any of them at all. The oldest bunch is in their 30's and the youngest in in their mid 20's.<br /><br />Wife said it will be a lonely Christmas this year. She then added well lets go to Florida for a winter vacation. Sounds good to me.<br /><br />Sorry for the ranting, I haven't had to yell since the later part of June due to Carl.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm done helping my adult kids!

SS- just a bit of reality bitting someone in the fore-region it sounds like. Time to play grown-up. Obviously sounds like nothing on your side just lack of responsible efforts on the chitlins'. <br /><br />If the clouds clear around their heads they'll come around.<br /><br />keep your head up and keep your cool.<br /><br />hope for the best -barlow

oddjob

Commander

Sorry for your trouble SS. <br /><br />On another note, If the hitch failed at the welds, I would have a better qualified welder reattach it. Done properly that should never happen.

ehenry

Commander

SS, sounds to me like its time to let them stand on their own, sink, swim or tread water. As long as you continue to bail them they have no concept of responsibility. The SIL proved that by going off on you over what he owes you. <br /><br />I've seen this happen in my extended family. The best thing that ever happend to the kids being helped was the day their daddy told them "No more help until you learn to be more responsible." It was tough on kids, tough the parents to stand by and watch their chldren struggle BUT it was the best thing that could have happened. It taught the kids that Daddy aint always gonna be there to bail them out and they'd better tighten up.<br /><br />I am assuming all involved are employed.

SCO

Lieutenant

I dont think you can bend the 1/2 inch plate with tire friction alone. It's a safe bet that they had some speed when the chain went taut, but that is neither here nor there. It's nothing in the grand scheme. Maybe you can talk to each one individually and express that you are sad to be treated disrespectfully when trying to help them, and that you no longer want a part of that, and that they need a plan to go self sufficient for it will make them better and proud of themselves to be on their own. Get a job /move/ sell stuff/ get rid of cell phone/ whatever it takes. Trick is I think to be nice when you do this and minimize the humiliation of them to have a continuing relationship when the money stream is gone. Sounds like you and wife are already on the right track and steeled to lonliness if need be. Good luck SS.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Maybe the kids thought your help was a gift, not a loan?<br /><br />Everytime I exchange money, I explain it clearly if it is a gift, or a loan.<br /><br />If I borrow something, then break it, I will sure own up to it. If I dont have money to pay to fix it, I would sure offer to help out in other ways.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

My wife and I were never elegible for any help from either of our parents / grandparents / aunts / uncles etc. For years we were dirt poor, living in conditions you might expect in Guatemala. I am not exagerating here, we had it rough while my brother and sister had but to ask and they recieved. Well, both of thier lives have been Jerry Springer Shows, and although my life isn't what I want it to be right now, it's better than theirs because they have never learned how to make what they want happen. It might sound mean SS, but I would cut them off. Some will thank you one day, some won't.

tylerin

Commander

Screw me once, shame on you, Screw me twice shame on me. You don't need all this bitterness in your life SS. Put your foot down

gaugeguy

Captain

Yup, what motivation do these ungrateful people have to make them stand up on their own if they have you as a crutch.

KaGee

Admiral

SS... Been there, done that.<br /><br />Tough love is the hardest love to give. We do not realize how much we are hurting our kids when our motivation is to help. But our help just enables them to keep living their lives status quo.<br /><br />PS... your wife has a great idea... take her away, just the two of you. You'll be glad you did!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I think you made the right choice SS.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

This isn't tough love in my opinion (not trying to be argumentative), it is forcing the respect you deserve from those who clearly have no respect for your property, time, money or feelings.<br /><br />You are not cutting them off they are cutting you off. Treat a bank the way they treated you and they won't even let you fill out an application for a loan. You are clearly a very generous person, but when I lend cash I expect to get cash back - not junk. <br /><br />Not that it was always right but my dad never gave me/family money - ever. I could use his tools until I proved I was irresponsible with them, (never got to that point.) A strong back was always there, and there was always a roof for those who follow the house rules and dinner is always served at five for everyone. Disrespect my mom or dad and find a nice snowbank to sleep in or leach off a friend but the rules were the rules.<br /><br />Nothing rips a family apart like money and funerals. I'm very sorry you are in this position. You are clearly the tent pole for this family but at some point you have to get them off the teat, and on their own.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

There comes a time in every person's life when it is time to do it on their own. You have helped them get ready for that time, and the time has arrived.<br /><br />Every baby bird has to leave the nest at some point. <br />Some fly. Some Fall.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Although I agree with the advice given, I'll present the flip side of the coin.<br /><br />Nowadays, it's nearly impossible for two people to get started without help. Thirty years ago, at just a little above minimum wage (average for a young guy) you only needed to work two days to cover your rent on a studio apartment. After those two days, the rest of the money was yours for food, clothes, car ect. Nowadays, at just above minimum wage, you now have to work two weeks to cover that same studio apartment.<br /><br />So, lets imagine that a standard mortgage payment is about three times that of a simple studio apartment. Now, a person ready to buy a house probably isn't making minimum wage, so let's say he's making twice that much. Thirty years ago, a man could work a 40hr week and be able to purchase a home. A man would have to work one week to make his house payment. If his wife worked part-time, or he had a degree and made decent money, they could buy a NICE home.<br /><br />Nowadays, that is simply not possible. What used to be one week to make a monthly house payment has turned into three weeks. That one week left over simply isn't enough to make ends meet with food, utilities, car payments, ect. That forces the wife to work full time, and if they have kids, enter the cost of child care. Child care isn't cheap, a third of the wife's income will go to pay for child care, so now you have a diminishing rate of return.<br /><br />All in all, I can certainly understand helping the kids. They NEED help, because it's a whole lot tougher now then it was twenty years ago. That doesn't mean you should continue to do it forever, certainly not. I just wanted to present the opposite side of the coin.<br /><br />Now, with all that being said SS, I still think this is the time to put your foot down. What in the world is he doing with a boat, ANY boat, if he can't pay his debts? A boat is a luxury, a "fun" item. He needs to pay his financial obligations before he spends money on a leisure, regardless of how "good" a deal he got on it.

NOSLEEP

Commander

It will pass.<br />There's your silver lining SS.<br />Opportunity is at the door. Set them free.<br />And they will respect you for it later.<br />They will learn quicker if they get to make their<br />own mistakes.<br />Enjoy the ostracism, while you can.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I don't blame the kids!!! It's the parents & grand parents that are at fault!!! Been there and done that too!!! After a while ya smartin up and let them feel the pinch, "OUCH!!!" ;) :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander

I remember my mother washing cloths in the bath<br />tub. My father making due with what was on hand.<br />And working long hours to keep a roof over our<br />heads. Lots of potatoes, and wild meat.<br />Kids today have it soft. They expect the world,<br />and demand all the conveniences that were only<br />luxury's when I stepped out into the world of<br />self reliance.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> <br />All in all, I can certainly understand helping the kids. They NEED help, because it's a whole lot tougher now then it was twenty years ago.
Lemme see... 20 years ago... 2 kids, stay at home wife... Jimmy Carter Recession... double digit inflation... double digit interest rates... high unemployment... and on, and on, and on....<br /><br />Every generation has had difficult circumstances. However, those of us born Post Korean War have had less to deal with than our parents. Those of you born post the Vietnam era have grown up in some of the most prosperous times this nation has seen. Prosperity has a downfall, it produces apathy, a lack of appreciation, softness and dare I say it... flat out laziness.<br /> [RANT] <br />When things get tough, instead of buckling down and working through it, people today would rather whine and complain how things are tough and how they can't make it and how unfair things are. They refuse to apply themselves and get a proper education, then complain when someone makes more money than they. <br /> [/RANT] <br /><br />Like SS, I have helped my kids. Like SS, I have had it thrown back in my face. Wilkin, I heard<br />your argument from my oldest son... Funny, when I finally woke up and gave him the boot... he survived!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

While my oldest was going through those early teens, it was amazing how often I heard "But, Dad, it's only $50.00!!!" I told her to save her money, and buy it herself. <br /><br />She got a job cleaning out kennel cages at a vet clinic. When that $50.00 was turned into 8 hours of cleaning up dog poo... Suddenly that word "only" was used a lot less. <br /><br />OPM. The most addictive thing in the world. <br />Other People's Money.

KaGee

Admiral

OPM.....good one Kidd, I gotta remember that one.<br /> :D