I'm changing motors but I have a couple questions

floydp680

Cadet
I have a 1997 Fisher FS18 fish and ski (same as nitro 18 ft. FS). My boat has a Mercury Force 120 and I am selling it and getting a 150. I would like fuel injection. Are newer injected motors self contained? By that I mean are there computers or anything else that is needed? I am keeping my throttle, steering, and gauges. Can i replace a Mercury Force 120 with a newer 150 of any brand and still use my existing stuff? When I look at motors I noticed that I have to choose a shaft length. What shaft length is my motor? Will I need a 20" shaft or a 25" shaft?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: I'm changing motors but I have a couple questions

Figure on a near-total changeover. About all that will be compatible are the steering and a few gauges. Chances are you have a 20" transom. Precious few (if any) Forces were 25. A yard stick will answer that question. Except for a remote oil tank, they're all pretty much self-contained. It depends on your gauge situation regarding peripheral attachments.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

meassure the transom of you boat. that will determine the length, and as WBW said, plan a complete change over. merc/mariner may work with the controlls, but the others won't.

floydp680

Cadet

So I will probably be changing throttle cables, gauges, and wiring than right? What if I go with an older 150? Maybe a 1998 Mercury?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hard to say. even though, it's mercury force it's still a force, with there differences. all we can say id try it. if the wiring harness,connections are the same, and i don't think they are, it's a real pain to try to test and chase out where wires go. and could possibly damage the new engine.

JRJ

Commander

Enjoy life and get yourself a new 4-stroke. You deserve it and compared to a Force, you will have a Rolls vs a Pinto8)

bigtwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DONT even use the word for Force in the same sentance with the Pinto!!! The Pinto is too fine of an automobile to be compared to a Force. I got 15 years and 450,000 miles out of a Pinto (with out overhauling it). My father couldn't get 2 seasons or 50 hrs before his 50hp Force bit the dust.
I think a Vega would be a better choice :p

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

bigtwin said:
DONT even use the word for Force in the same sentance with the Pinto!!! The Pinto is too fine of an automobile to be compared to a Force. I got 15 years and 450,000 miles out of a Pinto (with out overhauling it). My father couldn't get 2 seasons or 50 hrs before his 50hp Force bit the dust.
I think a Vega would be a better choice :p

Edsel maybe ??