Im being cheated! Help!!

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a boat a couple of days ago and then realized that it was not as advertised. heres the email I sent the seller and his responce (names removed). What do you think I should do? is he right about the carbs just being different?<br /><br />>-- Original Message --<br />>From: "Vegard Hamso" <<br />>To: <<br />>Subject: Boat is not as advertised<br />>Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:45:30 -0400<br />><br />><br />>,<br />>I have begun work on the boat and I discovered several major things contrary<br />>to what you promised. First and foremost, the outboard is not a 140 hp,<br />it<br />>is an 85, as evidenced by the model number: 85ESL74B. Second, the floor<br />>which you claimed had no wood underneath, was made of wood, with a thin<br />>layer of fiberglass on top. Sure enough, this wood was completely rotten<br />>and<br />>the foam underneath was completely waterlogged.<br />> As you can see, this is contrary to what was agreed on, and I expect<br />>a<br />>significant discount. The check will be stopped<br />>if I dont hear from you by tomorrow at 5 pm. . I hope this was an honest<br />>mistake.<br />><br />>Vegard Hamso<br /><br />Reply:<br /><br />Vegard,<br /> My friend told me it was a 140 the block is the same for both hp's only<br />carbs are changed, sorry for the error, as far as the floor, I never ripped<br />it apart,the majority of boats have a wood core, only newer boats offer<br />molded injection, the floor was solid and did not need to be replaced, it<br />was sold as a project boat no warrenty expressed or implied as stated on<br />your receipt and witnessed by my signature and yours, you can return it<br />too me if you like, the best I can do is give you $50 of the selling price,<br />if you stop payment on the check I will seek legal, bouncing a check is<br />a felony in the state of Md.<br /><br />thanks

Moving Target

Seaman
Re: Im being cheated! Help!!

you can return it too me if you like
Thats what I'd do. Big diff between 140 and 85 hp. He may not have known about the floor though. How much did you pay for it?

ranger69dv

Seaman Apprentice

Ship it back, This guy blaitently lied to. Not only would i send it back but id send a couple of big friends to deal with it.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Those webpages built around microsoft word do not show images on my computer.<br /><br />But anyway just changing carbs would be a big stretch to encompass that kind of horsepower gain.<br /><br />You know darn well that the seller knew what they had and priced it accordingly. <br /><br />Sorry but I know in this state Ca., used boats and cars have no warranty and it's buyer beware.

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he'll take it back that is the way to go. If the floor is rotten the transom likely is as well. See if there is any flex in it by moving the leg of the motor up and down. <br />Rich

Walker

Captain

You need to go straight to a lawyer. Do not pass go, do not collect $200

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like the boat, and the hull is in great shape. I dont think that I need to go to a lawyer.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Transom is good, so Ill keep it, I think...

rmpenton

Seaman

i would keep it.i cant find a good projeect boat for under 1000 down here.and they are in worse shape than that.now you have a great project for winter.providing the mptpr runs good.the coils look new.thats a start.as for the guy,my 77 115 has a sticker on the silencer cover that tells you exacily what it is.any way the motor is probley worth 400 or so.not bad to put a floor in and have a boat you can sell for double what you paid for it.thats my 2 cents

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

$800 US Dollars about $1600AUD ???<br /><br />Thats a cheap boat...<br />85 HP is quite a bit of power for that hull if the motor has good compression and is runs OK you would not even get a old 40hp motor for that !!!<br /><br />I don't think you did too bad for the price.. :D

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice

I'm a MAssachusetts attorney. I do NOT know the laws of your state. <br />under MA law:<br />If the seller offered to refund your money than you have nothing else to seek for damages unless you have already ut $ in to it other than the purchase money. The question becomes do you still want the boat and can you enjoy it if you feel you've been "twisted"? It seems as though you got a good deal just not as good as you thought.<br /><br />UNDer MA law I would advise you to either make good on the check NOW or bring back the boat and get a receipt for its return.<br /><br />good luck <br />Dave who just bought a "69 Larson in "good shape" from my brother in laws father in law. It has a rotten floor and transom and needs engine mounting brackets and possibly a new stearing column ( frozen) I guess I should have looked closer but for <$800 I really didn't care - the trailer is beautiful and the boat will see the water this summer.<br />dave in wareham, ma

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

dude; you got a good deal. if the motor is good and the transom is good, the decking is easily replaceable, but the transom? that would suck!
:eek:

93bronco

Ensign

i agree. if you dont want it give it back. <br />But - if the motor was running good, and the trailer was decent, you could still get your money back if not more-if you decide to scrap the boat.<br />-<br />it is possible that a 140 powerhead was placed on in place of the 85. what does the hood say & what is the max for the boat.<br />unfortunatly the only way to know for sure is through parts id. and you will need to get the parts manual for that.<br />-<br />if this is your 1st boat, redo it for the experience. because you could have spent more and gotten Far Worse!! <br />-<br />if anything you will know what to look for next time. <br />you are still way behind me in the getting ripped off catagory.<br />over all you did good.

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

800$ sounds li e a good buy to me a lawyer you are funny. Why would you want any more pwr?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I think he got a damn good deal, 800 is what the motor and trailer are prolly worth, 85 horses is a hell of a corral hangin off the stern<br /><br />I would keep it, its a great place to start if the engine runs well<br /><br />also<br /><br />its a cheap lesson in caveat emptor ... buyer beware<br /><br />and ummmmm<br /><br />with a name like SEA RAY ...<br /><br />its gotta ba good!<br /><br /> :cool:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I think you will find out that there are a lot more differences between an 85 and a 140 than carbs.<br /><br />A side note for all who may read this - - The best time to thoroughly check out a boat is before you write the check. If you are not that knowledgeable about boats bring someone along who is.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

When you buy a boat and motor, or anything else from an individual, you should be able to take the persons word, as to the condition and facts about an item, but it just don't work that way.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 2 c if you like the boat even if you spend some time and$ its all worth it in the end when its in the water