Illinois Used Boat Purchasing from Private Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILCrownline202

Recruit
Illinois Boat Purchase

Buyer and Seller both Illinois residents

I am from Illinois and recently purchased a used boat from a private owner who is also from Illinois. I had to do some searching and calling to find out exactly what I needed to complete the transaction, so I thought I would post this to help others save a little time and confusion.

1.At payment time get title for trailer and boat from previous owner and make sure he/she signs where needed on each title.

2.DMV ? You need to go to the DMV to register and title the trailer in your name. You will need the signed trailer title for this (signed by seller and buyer). You will need to pay $149.00 to the Secretary of State at this time. In return they will process your title and plates and give you a temporary plate until you receive the new plates in the mail.

Illinois Department of Natural Resources Watercraft
PO Box 19226
Springfield, IL 62794-9226

You will need to send the remainder of the paperwork to the above address.

These are the required items:

1.Watercraft Registration / Title Application Form

2.Watercraft Title (Signed by Previous Owner)

3.Payment for new registration and title ($52.00)

4.Form RUT-75
*Make sure you only put the value of the boat here, because tax is based on the payment price of the boat, not the total.

5.Tax Payment (made to the IL Department of Revenue)
*This value is going to be 6.25% of the price paid for the boat.
*If the boat value is $12,000, you will owe a tax amount of $750.

6.Bill of Sale (must be signed by seller and buyer)
*Separate the values of the boat and trailer on the signed bill of sale (i.e. $12,000 Boat, $2,500 Trailer, $14,500 Total). Make sure the seller separates these values. NADA's website allows you to print off a retail value sheet for trailers and for boats which is a helpful source.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Illinois Used Boat Purchasing from Private Owner

Maybe you could get the seller to put a lower price there so you won't have to repay the tax that was already paid on that boat when it was sold new.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I was recently surprised that I needed a bill of sale when I had the titles all signed but the DMV clerk insisted, and said the BOS needed to have the serial/VIN shown; she even wanted the color of the trailer! So get as much filled out as possible.

ILCrownline202

Recruit

I would be cautious with having the value of the boat too low. The revenue office will deny if there are any red flags.

zettler

Cadet

Thank you for the summary!!!

No one answers at DNR on Revenue...go figure!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had recent dealings with illinois DNR, I think there is only one person there. Just need to be persistent.

xxwildbillxx

Recruit
Are there any additional steps or precautions I need to take if I buy a boat in Michigan and bring it back to Illinois?

What can I do to lower my chances getting pulled over on my way back from Michigan to Illinois with an unlicensed trailer/boat???

Also, do I still have to pay tax on a boat I purchased in another state?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is over 6 years old. It's quite possible that the fees listed and procedures have changed.

Only the state of Illinois can really answer these questions. Excepting will a LEO pull you over for no tags. :doh:

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.