Illinois Boat Title ????

Pappyball

Cadet
Anyone know the process for getting a title/re-titling a boat in Illinois?

I got a free boat that has not been registered in Illinois since 1979. It sat outside and then was passed around.

I have no title, no paperwork, not bill of sale, nothing. Just a boat and an intact hull id tag with serial number that's in good shape on the boat.

Anyone have any clue on the process for getting this thing titled in Illinois?

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Illinois Boat Title ????

If I was you, I would look into getting a title for it through the Secretary of State at one of the drivers license facilities. You can also look online at the Secretary of State web site to get more info and the process involved.

Brian

TilliamWe

Banned

Negative on the Secretary of State. They DO NOT handle boat titles or registrations. That is done through the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Here's their link:

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be warned, the rules in illinois have changed, they might treat it as abandoned and there is an ugly process they require. Go to their website for details. If it has any value at all I would go through one of the out of state titling companies unless you have a buddy in indiana that can title it there and transfer it to you.

Pappyball

Cadet

I have family in Indiana.

Is it easier to title a boat in Indiana with no paperwork, documentation, original title, etc...???

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was looking at a "freebie" recently ( that I ended up walking away from) that did not have a title either, they said it was easy to get titles in indiana and transfer to illinois.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone know the process for getting a title/re-titling a boat in Illinois?

I got a free boat that has not been registered in Illinois since 1979. It sat outside and then was passed around.

I have no title, no paperwork, not bill of sale, nothing. Just a boat and an intact hull id tag with serial number that's in good shape on the boat.

Anyone have any clue on the process for getting this thing titled in Illinois?

Do you have a trailer?
I bought a new boat in Illinois this year. The IDNR registers the boat, they give you a # that goes on the left side near the bow. My boat has no title, but the trailer has a regular car title and a trailer plate which came from the Secretary of State's office. So for the boat contact the IDNR, for the trailer go to your local dr. lic. office. If a title has been previously issued for the trailer your going to have a little bit of a mess on your hands, but they will tell you what you have to do. GOOD LUCK

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I've had 3 boats in the last 3 years,in Illinois,and have had a title for each.
As far as how to get a title,I'd talk to an independent " fast title and license service" which is a private business,and not employed by the state.
And yes,Illinois boat title are issued by the DNR,not SOS. IDNR has a website where you can apply online for a title,or do a title search. I bought one without a title,but I did have a name of previous owner. All I needed was the application,tax form, and a power of attorney[all downloaded from the website] signed by the previous owner.

chris 1

Cadet

Well I have done the same thing bought a boat that sat in storage for seven years. Through INR found the owner and then found out theres a lien on the title from a bank that dont exsist anymore. I sent out certified letters to the Owner and the bank, Now im waiting on replys. or am im scewed.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in Chicago and getting a "free boat" end of this year from my fiancees family. The boat is currently titled in AZ. Any thoughts as to what the best/easiest process is to getting the title transfered over to my name in IL?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as you have an existing title, just go to the illinois dnr website, download the forms fill them out and send the copy they want with the appropriate registration fee and you are good to go. You have to register the trailer though through the illinois dmv. Costs more to register the trailer than the boat.