Ignition wire replacement

michael0610

Cadet
I was working on my 2003 Mercruiser 3.0 I/O late last Fall and had removed the wires from the distributor cap. I got pulled off of the job to work on my SUV and figured I'd leave it until Spring. Now (Stupid me), I didn't mark the wire connection placement and am not sure which wire goes to which connection on the cap. Does anyone have info or a diagram for this? Thanks in advance.

michael0610

Cadet
Hey guys. I have had three different sources confirm that the #1 tower contact on the Mercruiser distributor cap is at the 4:00 position as you're looking at the cap from the starboard side and everyone agrees that the firing order is 1-3-4-2 as does the label on my spark arrestor cover so I'm going with that. I thought I'd share and thank everyone for the advice and help. Last time I make this bonehead mistake.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys. I have had three different sources confirm that the #1 tower contact on the Mercruiser distributor cap is at the 4:00 position as you're looking at the cap from the starboard side
That is a false statement the rotor button can be facing any direction it is determined by who ever put the distributor in eighter new or last time it was pulled.. Do not assume, This is to easy to figure out.
Bring your number 1 piston to the top on the compression stroke.
Drop your distributor in making sure that the top of the oil pump rod is lined up with the bottom of distributor.
Where ever the rotor button is facing is your number 1 plug wire position

Cylinder 1 is closes to the front of the engine