Ignition Switch?

bostongrun

Cadet
I have an 07, Penta Volvo, Glastron GT185 with a very strange issue. When I switch on the bilge pump or the accessory switch the start alarm squeals. With the ignition, switched off, when I hit bilge switch the bilge pump does not activate but the start alarm squeals? Anyone have any ideas.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition Switch?

Your bilge pump switch is hooked up improperly, or it's shorted to the ignition somehow.

bostongrun

Cadet

The bilge pump is hooked properly, as far as I know, It's the factory installation and has not been altered. When I put it away last fall it was working great. I did observe that the fuse was blown in the "autobilge fuse holder" so I repalced it. The bilge pump doesn't work but the new fuse didn't blow either.

I looked under the panel and did not see any rodent damage or other conspicous problem. This is only a three year old boat with 37 hours so I dont think the wiring has deteriorated to the point where there should be a lot of issues.

I did have to replace the starter last fall because it shorted out due a flooded bilge caused by a failure of the autobilge. After installing the new starter everything was OK. The manual bilge was working great. Now this spring, I started the motor in the driveway and it popped right off but it soon developed this weird problem where the ignition alarm goes off when you hit the bilge or running lights switch.

You hit the bilge switch, it lights up and the alarm goes off but no bilge pump? Like wise with the running lights. I observed that the alarm is feed off the voltmeter. I really doubt that the problem is under the insturment panel.

I dont think the bilge nor the lights go through the ignition switch but the switch somehow must break the ground to silence that alarm when the engine starts. I just talked to a mechanic at dealer and he said he never heard of anything like this. The only thing I can think of is some kind of a ground short some that's energizing the wrong circuit but you would think you would have blown the fuse. Aside from the fuse holder for the "autobilge" is there any other fuse for the bilge itself?

Could I have goofed something up when I installed the new starter? I dont see how the igntion circuit would have anything to do with the bilge circuit? I was pretty meticulous in regard to replacing the wires exactly but like everone else I have been know to have a few brain farts.

I would greatly appreciate any input

bostongrun

Cadet

Problem solved. It was a bad bilge pump. There is absolutely no clearance to get the old one out, fortunately I installed an aftermarket one with autobilge that is far superior to OEM junk supplied by Glastron. In regard to the alarm, apparently I had not connected a wire attached to the negative terminal, one of about six, after attaching it the alarm stopped. Took my time did a good job putting fusible links on the wires, soldering and shrink tubing all my connections. I cant believe what cheap _ _ s pump Glastron put in there. No wonder it failed in just three years. Plus, after about an hour of effort and examination, I concluded that it is physically impossible to install a replacement pump in the factory location without lifting the motor short of breaking to pieces at the risk of damaging the hull.