Ignition switch issues???? Please Help!

Vickers30

Recruit
Yesterday, My wife and I were out on the boat. Boat ran great. We shut it down a handful of times to float and the boat fired right back up each time till the last time. Leaving the beach. The boat wouldn't want to crank over at all. Safety switch was on. Battery is brand new. Stereo worked. Blower worked. I could hear gas getting pumped. Had no idea what to do. Another guy came over and eventually started wiggling the ignition switch around and it popped off first time for him (LOL shocker). Ignition switch itself is very loose in there. My question is. Does this sound like I just need a new Ignition switch? Do I check the wiring or fuses? If so, what ones and how would I go about that? Sorry Im very new to boating and just trying to learn. My boat is a 2000 four winns horizon 190. Has a 4.3L Volvo Penta. Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
The key switch being loose won't keep it from cranking, but if the switch has a bad connection inside this might be the issue. What most probable cause is the neutral safety switch (NSS).

The NNS is inside the throttle handle, and if there is slop in the handle then it may not make connection. In most cases just turn the key to start and hold. Then move the throttle handle FWD or REV just slightly to see if it starts to crank.

Other possibilities are connections on the start assist relay and the start assist relay.