Ignition switch & ignition circuit

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys
I need some advice please.
I'm putting in a new kill switch but want to wire it in via the ignition switch, please see my boat and engine details in my signature.
I think I've got it right but I would like to check with you.
I've enclosed a picture of my switch and according to the manual its pretty much standard wiring.
Am I right in saying that the ignition circuit is the Yellow/Red wire and the Purple wire in the picture. So when the ignition is turned off this cuts the engine?
So I'm guessing if I put the Kill Switch in between the Yellow/Red wire this will do the same job as turning the ignition off?

Attachments

• Ignition switch.jpg
    Ignition switch.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, kill switch breaks the purple wire to the motor on an I/O

on a outboard, it grounds the ignition.

the yellow/red wire is your cranking signal

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott, so break the purple wire and connect in between?
Cheers, much appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did you get the correct kill switch? You need one that opens, when tripped.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you get the correct kill switch? You need one that opens, when tripped.
I think so Chris. This switch has 4 terminals. 2 C terminals and 2 M terminals. When the Lanyard key is inserted, my continuity meter tells me that the 2 C's are open and the 2 M's are closed and visa versa when the Lanyard key is removed. I therefore think that it is made for both Outboard and Inboard engines. So I think I am right to assume that I connect the Purple Wire to both M terminals so that when the Key is removed it'll break the Ignition Circuit as Scott suggested?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally the M terminals are for magneto, which is the ignition system of outboards. However, your description is the opposite of that.
I would expect you want to use the C terminals. You might doublecheck the function of those C terminals.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Chris, interesting, I would have thought the M (Magneto) terminals are for an Outboard and C (Coil) for IO . I've double checked and definitely when the lanyard is connected/inserted the buzzer sounds on my meter reads 100% continuity between M terminals but nothing on the C terminals. Take the lanyard off and its the other way around. It's a pretty standard switch so I think the terminals may have been accidentally reversed.
Thanks for the advice to double check.