ignition switch evinrude powerpilot box

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine is johnson 85esl73m. -I found out that both + and - clamp on battery where dirty and gave bad connection,the starter run good after cleaning them. There where som leaders inside control box that needed to be sorted out better for space sake,one white from the start position switch rubbed against ground inside box,then suddenly all dead. Did this kill the ignition swich?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
,one white from the start position switch rubbed against ground inside box,then suddenly all dead. Did this kill the ignition swich?
Doubtful. Look for a fuse inside the engine cover.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
White is the start wire. It would keep the starter from running----is that what you mean? It could also blow the fuse. But it shouldn't harm the ignition switch. Well I suppose it is possible, if the fuse didn't do it's job and blow to protect the circuit.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its two white that goes to the start-position switch,one of those where touching ground. Ok then i have to lokate the fuse first.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
On the motor, somewhere near the starter solenoid, a bulging black lump in the red wire. Twist it apart and find the glass fuse.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes that fuse was broken,could only find a type that is a bit longer but same 20 ampere,wrapped it in isolation tape and the starter works like a charm. thanks..