Ignition switch does not shut engine off.

mr 88

Commander
Twin 1996- 454s EFI Marine Power engines with a ECM . Toggle switch instead of standard key , same function, Mom on ( on ) - On - Off . Swapped switches, same result , not the switch. Wondering what is being killed and will try and back trace it from there . Any suggestions besides that ? I shut it down at the main control panel in the cabin , which has separate off - on ( no start ) switches for each engine as well. I have upper - lower controls along with main control panel and wiring goes into looms never to be seen again .

tpenfield

Staff member
Tell us a bit more about your boat. I assume that this is a re-power?

I would suspect the wiring at the helm switches is not right, but having a bit more background would help.

alldodge

Staff member
I've driven one of your type but never got into the wiring. There is a main switch in the cabin which when turned ON it supplies power to the toggle switches at the helm. If power comes from the key or the cabin it comes in on the Red/Purple to your switches

The ON/OFF at the helm should have Red/Purple and Purple wire

The START should have Red/Purple and Yellow/Red wire

mr 88

Commander
Not a repower , worked fine when I pulled it , took the batteries out for the winter , dropped it in and this issue popped up . No wiring was touched in the off season . Wiring is good at the switches as we swapped switches with no issues , except the port side won't shut down .

alldodge

Staff member
Without a wiring diagram we're going to be guessing. Going to see if I can find find a diagram. Can you post some pics of the master key and helm switches?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check to make sure you didn’t drop a ground when you changed batteries.

Been there, done that

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds a bit like the alternator field wire is not cancelling when you shut the switch off. If the field wire still has power then the alternator can keep feeding the ignition circuit. Test this by unplugging the field wire plugs from the alternators and then see if the engine shuts off with the key. Not harm from this, you are just running on the battery alone.

mr 88

Commander
Sounds a bit like the alternator field wire is not cancelling when you shut the switch off. If the field wire still has power then the alternator can keep feeding the ignition circuit. Test this by unplugging the field wire plugs from the alternators and then see if the engine shuts off with the key. Not harm from this, you are just running on the battery alone.
Will give this a try next weekend, boat is 45 minutes away . So if it does kill the motor which wire am I back tracing , as you stated wires , to find the problem?

mr 88

Commander
Check to make sure you didn’t drop a ground when you changed batteries.

Been there, done that
One battery cable wire to each terminal and battery charger wires are all that go on the terminal post .

mr 88

Commander
Unfortunately, everything cannot be done alone. If you have a mechanic near you, I suggest you call.
I had a class A tech on board , along with the wiring schematic that Luhrs supplied . He was scratching his head . Told him to sleep on it for a couple days , will see him tomorrow afternoon and see if he came up.with anything.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Will give this a try next weekend, boat is 45 minutes away . So if it does kill the motor which wire am I back tracing , as you stated wires , to find the problem?
Not sure of the specifics on your alternator. Usually it's red in the plug that is getting ignition power. It's a separate plug and not the output wire.

mr 88

Commander
Interesting that this was moved , electrical problem on inboards , has nothing to do with outboards and is a repair . Not - non repair outboard + section. That's why I posted it originally in the main forum.

alldodge

Staff member
It was moved because it deals with a motor issue on the electrical side but by mistake moved to OB instead of inboard and IO. I moved to IO

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My bad. A bunch of threads weren't categorized properly. It does need to be moved from Boat Topics and ?s. Since Marine Power engines were mated with different outdrives, it needs to be moved to your particular drive... If it's truly a helm issue, it needs to moved to electrical...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's actually is in Non Repair I/O. I may have left a message of OB. Knowing the outdrive would be advantageous...

mr 88

Commander
Straight inboards, whatever I just want to fix the issue and would like maximum views . Lot of people just main forum it , don't scroll down.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I shut it down at the main control panel in the cabin , which has separate off - on.......I have upper - lower controls along with main control panel

I read this as two station (cockpit/bridge) with full controls at each with a main 12 volt breaker panel in the cabin that has ignition breakers for each engine

The only way to shut the port engine down is by turning off the breaker at the main 12 volt panel, correct?

If so, the issue lies between the main 12 volt panel beaker and both helm stations. Could be an issue with the toggle switch at one of the helms, or wiring in between them. Does the other station power up when one station is used?

Best way to test this is with a multi meter and long test leads. You need to verify voltage, ground and continuity between all the stations/main panel.

My WAG at this point is faulty ignition switch at one station, chafed/worn wire somewhere between them or the panel or faulty connection causing a short to power

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Straight inboards, whatever I just want to fix the issue and would like maximum views . Lot of people just main forum it , don't scroll down.
I get you want maximum views. Everyone does and there lies the rub. That's why we have subforums.

alldodge

Staff member
It's rare for me to look at top level, maybe when I'm looking for something specific, I always use the "What's new" botton

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In, most cases the diode in the alt has failed and the alt is back feeding the system