Ignition Miss or gear problem

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Originally Posted by petrmik

"And yet i think i have a gear problem now. It seems to slip out of a gear about every 15 or 20 secs for a split of a second, just long enough to jerk the motor pretty bad." Sounds like its missing, but its not.
Ideas? I guess i need to take the lower unit apart and go thru gears? What am i to expect to see once there?

I know this is an old post, but was wondering if you found the problem with what seems to be " slipping out of gear." I have a 1966 33 horse and it has the same symptoms I thought at first it to be ignition problem, but I am not sure.
Appreciate any responce.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Ignition Miss or gear problem

If it feels like you're hitting a log or other underwater obstruction, it's most likely a worn clutch dog/forward gear.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lindy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, thats a good way to describe it, like you hit something. It repeats about 30 to 45 seconds, no partcular pattern. I know the shift screw was mistakenly removed, however the motor was not run, and I got it back in carefully with an awl while slowing turning the prop in gear to line up the linkage. I was told the screw would only seat if it was in the correct position. Unless that is incorrect.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunate for you, as lindy stated, you likely have worn gear or clutch dog. It is unfortunate since they are not a cheap item. They usually wear down due to improper shifting, slowly easing it into gear and letting the precisely machined edges bang bang bang against one another. If the machined edges of the gear or dog are worn down, when you increase the rpms, they jump apart, getting pulled back together and giving you the feeling that you hit a log. Will have to pull the lower unit to inspect further.