Ignition Key

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My outboard was just delivered to my mechanic today. It came with no controls at all. My boat has all of the factory installed controls. However, there is no key for the control box to start the engine.

So how can I get a key ? Locksmith ? AAA ? :rolleyes:

Must be someone who has been in this position. My mech is out of town so I'm not able to ask him yet.

My controls are OMC.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition Key

lock smith, or look where they key goes in if there are number there, that is the key code. dealer may have one. or lock smith can make one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A locksmith can make one. Trouble is, there are few real locksmiths out there anymore. I recently asked the guy at Ace Hardware if he could make an outboard key and he said no. But across his shoulder, I could clearly see the Chicago Lock key blanks hanging on his board.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

No numbers where the key goes in. I'll talk to a locksmith.

Many Thanx...;)

ncornett1

Cadet

my brother and i fished out of his boat one spring morning. he forgot his boat keys and we were putting the boat in and an hour away from home. i took his small boat trailer lock key and it went into the ignition and started the motor right up.

go figure, but it's worth a try.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know, I hadn't thought of that. I was looking at the ignition switch as sort of sacred ground not to be tampered with. I'll try it !!:D