IF you were stranded...and your phone battery died..

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Many of today's phones are power hogs...

We had two guys stranded in Galveston bay recently. Both sought help on a local fishing site. In both cases, they ran out of phone battery power...just when the helpers needed more info as to where-abouts etc.

In my boat I am lucky to have a cigarette lighter outlet. Last week, I bought a couple of doo-dads for my phone from Amazon. One thing that came along was an extra car charger. That charger is going into the boat right now.

Even if your battery was "run down" and couldn't start your engine..it still would have enough juice left to re-charge your phone.

If you do not have an outlet, a female cigarette outlet, attached with two clips to the battery, would work just fine in a pinch.

regards, Rich

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: IF you were stranded...and your phone battery died..

When I'm on the boat the cell phone and charger go into a doubled zip lock bag with the phone turned off, then stuffed into my ditch bag. Where I fish, cell reception is terrible and the phone and drain the battery in 6-12 hours, just "looking" for cell towers. Normally the battery lasts for 2-3 days with minimal use.

That said,,, I've been "stuck" 2 times and a cell phone didn't do any good as there was no cell phone reception. By the time I figured out a game plan, was on my way back to civilization and got into cell range, the cell phone was a moot point as I didn't need to contact anyone to bail me out.

I'm installing a VHF radio in the boat for this type of situation as there is much better VHF reception than cell coverage, where I'm at.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ironic, my phone battery goes dead on the boat only when I am supposed to check in with the admiral! (least that is what I tell her). All kidding aside, I have 2 cigarette lighter type 12v outlets on the boat and keep a spare phone cord in the glove box - along with a fully charged VHF radio, back up battery pack for the VHF, air horn and flares LOL.

But Bubba's comments make more sense..........!

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Just remember, there are places where you cannot get a digital signal...I know old phones reverted to analog when the digital signal was gone, but that gobbled up power, more than using digital.

While boating/fishing....I haven't turned my phone on in YEARS!
Don't call me, I'll call you.

But I'm confused...two guys were lost/stranded, so they used the web to get help? Ummm, interesting concept, I hope they learned something!!

Alumarine

Captain

If you find yourself in an emergency with poor reception, texting often works when voice won't.

Summer Fun

Banned

I carry a 1000w genny & a jumper pack with me at all time. :)

I can recharge anything I own. :)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Cel phones are for calls, VHF for emergencies...

ICOM fixed mount, 8' antenna...

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

and they even have VHF that hooks up to GPS and a little button that send a Emergency signal with you location (i have one on my boat )

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

everytime i go out, someone knows where ill be and about what time roughly im to be expected home.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If the cell tower system crashed or all batteries suddenly went dead from solar interference, literally half of america would either die or suffer nervous breakdowns. If schools mandated that kids couldn't text while they had to listen to boring teachers (and put beef in the rules), kids would pi$$ their pants. If drivers couldn't talk on the phone anymore to pass away the boring drive time, we would probably suffer with fewer accidents.

Its the scourge of the 21st century.

Back to the topic at hand, we used the marine radio telephone back in olden days before cellphones were invented. There was no reason to have a phone onboard then, nor is there one now. The boat is to get AWAY from that crap. Turn one on in my boat and we'll find out if she floats or not....LOL.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

If the cell tower system crashed or all batteries suddenly went dead from solar interference, literally half of america would either die or suffer nervous breakdowns. If schools mandated that kids couldn't text while they had to listen to boring teachers (and put beef in the rules), kids would pi$$ their pants. If drivers couldn't talk on the phone anymore to pass away the boring drive time, we would probably suffer with fewer accidents.

Back to the topic at hand, we used the marine radio telephone back in olden days before cellphones were invented. There was no reason to have a phone onboard then, nor is there one now. The boat is to get AWAY from that crap. Turn one on in my boat and we'll find out if she floats or not....LOL.

They don't...at least not the ones I've thrown overboard...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good idea to have a female cig lighter socket and clamps to hook to the battery; a dash board mounted one is not likely to function after a few months in the salt air.

scipper77

Commander

They don't...at least not the ones I've thrown overboard...

cell phones are turning into the modern equivalent of disco. Wildly popular (initially) until they just got out of hand. Then there was the whole anti disco movement.

Cell phones are not bad at all, but people who are addicted to them like crack are annoying.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Out on the water with no GPS, no radio and depending on a cell phone for communications???

I think they left their most important multi-app piece at home; the one between their ears.

sasto

Captain

There have been times when myself as well as others with me fishing have had the need for a cell phone. Not everyday, once in awhile. The days before cell phones I would be stuck at home doing business on the land line and unable to go anywhere. But now with cell phones I can take work with me wherever I go if needed. I use it as a tool to allow me freedom to move about.

That said.....I bet I get thrown overboard. :) I know they are annoying (as well as me), but those around me know my circumstances.

shrew

Lieutenant

Many of today's phones are power hogs...

We had two guys stranded in Galveston bay recently. Both sought help on a local fishing site. In both cases, they ran out of phone battery power...just when the helpers needed more info as to where-abouts etc.

so, they're out on the water and run into trouble. Let's assume they have a VHF, but no 12v. Let's assume they have flares and various visual and audible distress signals and there's simply no body around.

They DO have a cell phone, however it (or both) have limited battery life left. So they posted on an online fishing forum? Wouldn't calling someone make more sense at that point? The CG doesn't like when you call them directly, but i'd be happy to deal with their wrath when they someone showed up.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If you find yourself in an emergency with poor reception, texting often works when voice won't.

I've had to use that quite a bit... My cabin has absolutely no cell reception at all, but if you text, it might take 10 minutes, but eventually it will catch enough signal to send a couple bytes of data through. (of course, chewing up battery at an alarming rate too!)

(back when we had analogue phones, they also had absolutely zero signal reception, so converting to digital didn't make any difference here)

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds kinda like someone playing around... allegedly out on water needing assistance, posting to forums for help, help arrives but can't find them...

-E