If you can't find a trailer scale where you are located....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I was able to get an estimate of what mine weighs using a Sherline scale, with a 0-5000 lb meter, and a wood block to rest the scale on. So for my single axle trailer with 6,000 axle, 12" brakes, 225/75-15 D load range tires, I got 4650 on the axle, and 410 on the tongue. I don't have much safety margin on those D rated tires (each rated to 2540 lbs) so next time I re-tire I will get E load range tires. My total weight including the tongue is about 5060. I was able to put the scale right under the tie plate for the leaf spring on each side.
No wonder why my old '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 six struggled with this when I used to tow it. My '07 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi pulls it no problem. So much for boat manufacturer weights! F/W 'estimated' that this boat weighs about 2600 and the trailer about 1000. No way! I know that a real trailer scale is best but this was the next best thing I could do...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What kind of boat ?------Any chance there is water logged foam in the hull?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Nope. Had the foam out when I redid the deck 15 years ago. And it wasn’t waterlogged then.
1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon. 20’9”
When I launch the boat I’ll weigh the trailer same way then I can figure out how much the boat weighs…

I thought it was at least 3500 lbs but it seems to be more like 4,000 depending on what the trailer weighs.

BTW you can get a single axle trailer for this boat for the late models and they are rated for a total weight of about 5,000 lbs and the newer ones are about the same size as my boat. I think their old weights were way off.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There are big scales out on Long Island, I've used them when I drove semi.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For the scales, whereabouts?
Most of the later catalogs that FW has on their site don't list specific specs on the trailers but the last one they had for the Horizon 20' where they had that data listed the tandem axle with 4200 carrying capacity and 5000 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Yet they list the weight of the boat with the same engine as mine as 2800 lbs. So if you think the boat weighs 2800 lbs, then you spec a trailer that has 4200 lbs capacity? Its as if they knew their weight estimates were way off.
Which is consistent with what I see with mine. I just think their older weights were way off and the trailers were probably maxed out.
Anyway its good to know, this way you can up-grade tires next time you need them to give you an extra margin of safety. On mine I have a 6,000 lb axle, 6 lug hubs, 12" brakes and 5 leaf springs rated for 5700 lbs. The tires together are rated for 5080 lbs. So going up to a load range E tire will give a safety margin of about 500 lbs per tire vs 215 lbs now.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I made a few trips to LI hauling Leach refuse compactors, basically a garbage truck with no chassis.

I believe I weighed my return loads at a scrap recycling yard once, near Medford. And at a moving company the other time. I think it was a United Van Lines or Mayflower.

Also try larger feed mills that get their grain by the truck load.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks I’ll try that! There is a scrapyard/recycler local to me that I could check out.
BTW I found that the recommendation for RV/Trailer tires as far as safety margin is 10-15%. With the load range D tires I have about 8-9%. If I went to load range E I’d have about 18%.
I only do local towing so it’s a moot point but I have been interested in the high rate of tire failures with RVs and trailers for years and it seems that without weighing what you have you really have no idea if you have a safety margin or are overloaded.

Last edited:

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Truck stops usually have a scale. If you know where a rock quarry or scrap metal yard is located they have scales too

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Weighed it again today with the outdrive on & 1/4 tank of gas, was sure to level the boat side to side and got about the same numbers. Total 5050 lbs, 4650 on the axle. Way more than F/W's estimated weight. When I launch the boat I'll weigh the trailer (I'm guessing 850-950 or so lbs) that would put the boat at approx 4100 lbs. A far cry from 2600 from F/W's estimate.
the moral of the story is, don't take those estimates seriously, get it weighed and be sure you're not overloaded.
No wonder why our old '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 six struggled with towing this boat, it was right at the tow rating limit (5000 lbs) the '07 Grand Cherokee 5.7 V8 tows it very easily (rated at 7200 lbs).

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cat scales. Weigh it with the tongue on one pad and the trailers axle(s) on the other. Reconnect the tow vehicle when finished.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Very few here no Cat scales on Long Island would have to drive to NJ. There is a weigh station about 45 min east of here.