If not drain plugs what is it?

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
That hole looks like it was cast for the old manual transmission Z bar pivot ball.

tlcnate

Cadet
There you go...

Nice clear picture for you to show that hole isn't mean to be plugged.

Thanks! I've been sick as a dog with a lung virus so I have not worked on this. I think tomorrow I will finally get to it and then move on to see if the damned thing starts. The PBS donate a boat program is looking mighty attractive if it doesn't run!

tlcnate

Cadet
I agree.
On a older car engine with a manual transmission one of these screwed into the hole
.http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...1958-1964.html
Is that the hole you put the magnet stick into?
I never knew the hole went in that far, it must poke through into the area in front of the flywheel, not an oil or water area.
Do you have a 1/2"-13 tap? See if that's the right size.

I do not have that tap. I am going to just plug the hole and watch my gauges when running. I like ASM's post. Gives me confidence this is not a major screw-up on my part. When you work like me with a wrench on one hand and a shop manual in the other those are not that rare.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just so we are clear, that picture I posted was taken from a known working motor. So, you should be safe to leave it unplug.

tlcnate

Cadet
Just so we are clear, that picture I posted was taken from a known working motor. So, you should be safe to leave it unplug.

Thanks. Sorry I have not followed up on this. I was sick for a while then had bad weather. It turns out the tread is the same as the bolts used to secure the manifolds to the block. I bought a couple of short bolts for that. Then I went to a local totally cool mechanic (http://www.baronsmobile.com/Home.html) and we got to work. I ha a problem getting compression in the #1 cylinder after I set the valve lash and he walked me through the correct procedure. It turns out that tightening as directed in the manual to where the rod stops turning and then a half turn was probably OK but with my habit of giving it "just a little more to make sure" I had over tightened all the valves. We fixed that, got the timing properly adjusted and ran the engine. She's purring now. As for the hole in question the mechanic said "there's no water or oil shooting out of it don't worry about it."

Total time on the engine today to get it running was 2.5 hours with Baron making sure I got it right. Cost for his time? He asked for $40 and I gave him $50. How many boat mechanics do you know that do that? Test cruise this week sometime.

Again, thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited: