Idleing Dry - Impeller Replaced!

armysfcret

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Idleing Dry - Impeller Replaced!

OK. Got the impeller replaced by my local Merc mechanic. Here is his response. "Looks like impeller is slightly worn and has somewhat of a fixed curve to the vanes. Probably should be replaced but does not appear damaged. No broken, missing, burned or chipped vanes." He was rather surprised to find it in the good condition it was in after explaining that it had been run dry. This guy has over 20 years experience with outboards. Also, while he had LU off he replaced the LU oil. Now the bad part. I had to part with $115 to get it all done. Guess it could have been a lot worse. I DO appreciate the help from this forum and will take the advice given a little more to heart next time. As indicated in the above thread, this could have spelled major trouble. Just glad it turned out the way it did. Again, thanks for all the feedback. :) Heading for the lake this weekend. :D

KCLOST

Commander

I hope he went ahead and replaced the impeller....<br /><br />He should have, regardless of the condition, since he had the lower unit off....<br /><br />But that's good news that you are ok. It was well worth it to get it checked... Next time, you can do it yourself.. :)

armysfcret

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, impeller replaced, LU re-oiled and all gears got a good load of marine grease. Looks like I am good to go for the season. :D I kept the old impeller as he stated it was still usable as a replacement should the other one get destroyed or something. It least it could get me by until I got another one in an emergency. Don't know what kind of an emergency one could find on a 250 acre lake. :D Besides I don't think I will be removing an LU in the campground.

beagletracker

Recruit

Well in your case a 250 acre lake might not pose a major problem. Many people myself included have different water. I fish Lake Huron. 23,000 square miles or roughly the size of west virginai and when your are the only boat on the horizon is a twenty dollar piece of rubber worth the risk ??

dogsdad

Lieutenant

When I first got my boat, I was under the impression I could idle it dry as long as I shut it off before the motor overheated. I did not realize the impeller would be damaged almost instantly. The resulting overheat destroyed a switchbox and damaged the rectifier. I was lucky that it did not fry the powerhead entirely.<br /><br />Some lessons are expensive.