idle problem/power loss

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone, I have a 1983 Johnson 150 V6 that had been running great until about last week. <br /><br />Have to start with engine in neutral and throttle high. After dropping to idle the engine dies. After letting it run for 5 plus minutes can have it sit in idle but when you shift into gear the engine dies again. <br /><br />Before this happened I experienced a loss of power and was unable to get back on plane and maxed out around 3000 rpms. <br /><br />Checked the fuel filters, fuel lines and spark plugs. I am new to boating and far from a mechanic. Had someone suggest it may be a power pack. Any way to test? Any other ideas? Thanks!

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: idle problem/power loss

have you a shift switch, ties into the power pack, are you running on all 6 cylinders, might be a good time to check spark and compression, you should pick a service manual at you local marine dealer

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Im going to test compression this weekend. What should the readout be?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

at least 100 PSI and more importantly, even on all cylinders. Check for spark as suggested. Could just be an electrical failure. Better than the alternative!

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Im going to test compression this weekend. What should the readout be?

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. Checked the compression on the engine and 2 consecutive cylinders had a reading of 30. Took of the top part of the engine and found a blown head gasket. No damage to the cylinders either. Replaced the head gasket (23 bucks) and borrowed a torque wrench to get everything back in place. Engine runs great!

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good deal! thanks for sharing your fix. Helps us all out.