identifying timing marks - photo

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
engine is a 1988 5.7L mercruiser

I'm trying to find the proper timing mark to check the timing. I believe I'm looking for 8 deg advance, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't make out any numbers. From this photo can someone tell me which mark I should be using?

Attachments

• timingMarks.jpg
    timingMarks.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
Re: identifying timing marks - photo

hello,

generally, the crank's timing comes up on the marker. that is clockwise revolutions. harmonic balancer has a machined cut across it to ID firing mark. i assume that is a gm engine? generally, those timing marks are 2-degrees apart. there usually is a TDC mark.

if it was mine and i was in doubt. i would first dry time the engine, up on cyl #1 top of compression plug out to id the position. a plug in #1 plug wire and it grounded. with distr then loose at the hold down... ignition ON, rotate distr a bit L and R 1/2 - 3/4" back n forth until plug fires... "click, click, click!" this puts distr firing #1 at TDC and is close. tightend distr but loose so u still can move with a nudge if need be. this dry postion should start engine fine. then if vac advance, remove, plug hose and use light to set at 8 or 6 degrees, etc.

in any event, ur engine should have good throttle respons at the 2nd in mark. this is firing about 6-8 degrees BTDC. u can tweak in a bit more advance once it is stabilized and u confirm running smooth.

if it was mine, i would prefer as much advance as i could get given that it cranks smooth and does not hang up when cranking to start it, and it ran cool and no detonation. the GM 5.7 typically likes about 32-34 degrees total at full advance... given all else is in good service.

this should get u started until u can get more specific on the specs on the timing marks.

however, before all that, if i put a timing light on it and it was around ur B mark and it started good, ran good, etc. i would leave it alone for now, unless i had a problem i was diagnosing...

looks like some rust has creeped in.

good luck,

regards
lakester

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

From your picture, "C" is "0" or top dead center. Then the marks to the left of that are "before."

You can wire brush the tab and probably still read the numbers, but if memory serves me correctly, (always a dangerous thing!), then the top of the notch is even numbers with 4 degree jumps. (4, 8, 12, etc). the bottom of the notch is the number between (6, 10, etc). But the best way to make sure is to wire brush the tab and look.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yep, here's a picture of one similar. Note the difference is that your's has a bigger notch to identify TDC, which is also why it is at the bottom instead of the top of the notch:

14120212342011.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The deep notch is zero. The next point to the left is 4 BTDC...the next point is 8 BTDC. Your "B" mark is 6 and your "A" mark is 10.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

engine is a 1988 5.7L mercruiser

I'm trying to find the proper timing mark to check the timing. I believe I'm looking for 8 deg advance, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't make out any numbers. From this photo can someone tell me which mark I should be using?

hello,

why dont u set up and ck the timing? then comment as to where it is firing. best to mark the harmonic balancer line with a dab of white something... liquid paper, chalk, white paint... ck to see if it has vac advance.

regards
lakester :cool:

Coors

Captain

If it has vacuum advance, he has an automotve dist.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Timingmarks.png

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thunderbolt IV dist. So no vac advance, right?

Thanks so much for the input so far. You guys are awesome.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boats DO NOT use vacuum advances. That is automotive ONLY. The Thunderbolt ignition has electronic advance.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope this is not hijacking the thread with a dumb question but why do boats not have a vacuum advace?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

With the amount of time that a boat motor is running with the throttle Wide Open,......
There's little or No Vacuum to advance the Timing......