Identify this random midsection?

RavenTBK

Cadet
I've been a lurker for some time now, been doing a lot of reading. I am now to the point where I need to ask. :) Here's the background story to give you an understanding as to why I am asking such a stupid question. You can either read through the story, or skip to the bottom of my posting for a link to the image, should you so choose. :D

I traded a perfectly good 94 SeaDoo SPi for a 18' Boston Whaler clone with an 87 110 Evinrude that had sat since the middle of last season. Saving most of the drama getting it running, the engine was found to be very weak.

Took it to the shop, learned that one cylinder was at 80psi, while the other three were over 115psi. Upon teardown, learned that the wristpin had come loose, and tore up the ports and scored the cylinder wall. Too much to fix.

I picked up an 88 Special powerhead for a decent price, and brought it back to the shop. No biggie, they'd swap, and bolt right up...or so we thought. After moving everything over to the 88SPL, and getting ready to drop it onto the midsection, it is noticed that the gasket wont line up. I get the call, then make a few of my own. I show up and we compare notes. Sure enough, my blown head, and the 88 special do have the same pattern, but the midsection is different. The kicker is the transom sticker matches the serial of my blown head, so nobody really knows how it was ever bolted together or even ran properly in the first place. The guys at the shop confirm that my blown head and the replacement are both the very common mid 80s V4 crossflow, but they have no idea what the midsection is?

Can you identify WTH this midsection belongs to?

Underside of new powerhead (same pattern as the old) (500k jpeg)
Midsection View (800k jpeg)
Midsection, with correct powerhead gasket laid on top (875k jpeg)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Identify this random midsection?

That's not the right gasket for starters...
This is the one you're supposed to have (OEM #321727, or Sierra #18-2864), which will match up nicely. I don't know what you've got there, but it's not the right one...

Attachments

• 18-2864.jpg
    18-2864.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, all you got is the wrong gasket. That gasket is for a 1977 style 85-115. If your parts guy gets the right gasket I think you'll be fine.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I certainly hope that the guys that you have working on this motor can look at that gasket for no more than a second, before realizing that it isn't the right one. If not, you have the wrong guys fixing it.

???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And it's flipped over on the wrong side. I too question how familiar these guys are with crossflow V4s........

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Looking at his pics, the gasket matches the bottom of the powerhead they are trying to install, but it is obvious that it does not match the midsection. So, you guys think he will be okay with that powerhead as long as he gets the right gasket for the midsection unit...

RavenTBK

Cadet

Crap, I had a nice detailed reply typed up, then the power goes out. A cloud must've flown by... :rolleyes:

The meat of it was the gasket matches the powerhead (both the blown one and this new one), so the gasket isnt the issue. The gasket & powerhead dont match the midsection.

The obvious thing is the water passages wouldnt line up, allowing the water to flow up and fall back over into the exhaust, which would explain the overheat issue and the weak pisser when I bought the boat and got the engine running the first time after it sat up. The shop believes this is what caused the motors demise in the first place... which is probably why the guy was so willing to deal to get rid of the boat. :D

I would've thought yall would've looked at all three images before commenting.

RavenTBK

Cadet

Looking at his pics, the gasket matches the bottom of the powerhead they are trying to install, but it is obvious that it does not match the midsection. So, you guys think he will be okay with that powerhead as long as he gets the right gasket for the midsection unit...

Hehe.. you snuck in as I was retyping. ;) Thats exactly the problem. The confusing thing in all of this is the blown powerhead's model and serial number MATCH the transom sticker... so something else has been replaced along the line. I'm just trying to figure out what it came from...

Or, going with the wrong gasket suggestion by a couple others, the 1988 88SPL is really a 1977 85-115? And my E110TLCUR (blown) is really a 1977 85-115?

PSBTW, yes the gasket is flipped over L-R. I realized that after I took the pictures... however it makes it easier to verify the gasket belongs with the powerhead as they're both the same way (instead of mirrored) if you look at them side by side.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The gasket in picture you posted is the wrong one, it will not even line up with mounting holes as 2 bolts will be a 1/2 hole off. You need to replace the t-stat's since you got the powerhead off also. And yes I did look at pictures.....:rolleyes: