Identify this boat? I thought it was a Macgregor Venture 21 BUT?????

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i purhcased this boat and i thought it was a mac venture 21 but after looking more closely i'm thinking it's something else.

The hull numbers have been re issued so i'm stuck with the FLZ hull id which leaves me at a loss for finding the manufacturer.

Whatever the boat is she has a few hull blimishes from trailer/shore line damages over the years but all the floors are solid as a rock. The trailer literally fell apart on the way home and she took a blunt impact of one of the running board holding beams and just bounced off.

Paint, rigging and new sails coming. Just need to find out what she is.

She has a W 21 emblem on her hatch door and old stickers/emblems on the sides. I have no idea what a W 21 is or who the crest W/21 would belong to.

Any help would be great!

SailBoat1.jpg

Sailboat3.jpg

flashback

Captain
Re: Identify this boat? I thought it was a Macgregor Venture 21 BUT?????

Not much help I'm afraid. It looks like a V21 to me too..........

Bolixt

Cadet

Looks like a very early model v-21. I've got a 1968 looks just like it but no pulpit. Trailer is damn near the same near as I can tell from the pics except my bunks are 2X6 and the boat sits on their wide dimension not on the edge as shown in your pics. Keel hangs down just the same.

The original hull numbers for these boats were engraved on or drilled into the inside bulkhead below the hatch coaming - not on the hatch cover. It'd be just a number w/o the V21. Not easy to see. If there is any original upholstery cushions left that number might also be inked on either/both the foam inside the covers or the inside of the covers.

Be careful - several design changes.

captmick39

Cadet

what makes You think it ISN'T a V21?
I had (and had to salvage, it was damaged beyond repair) a V23, and that's DEFINITELY a MacGregor Venture. No doubt in my mind. They used the same mold and style for the transoms on all these little boats. Same swing down bracket, rub rail, It IS a late '60's Mac-V. Now whether the title reflects that or not is a whole 'nuther animal, but what we see is a Mac, 4sure.

captmick39

Cadet

"FLZ"....Sport, upn re-reading the original post, here's the deal:
It was originally (or certainly some time previously) a FLORIDA Boat, and "FLZ" in the HIN (Hull Identification Number) lets anybody in Florida Know that it was either 'home-made' or without a VIN/HIN and ISSUED one, because many smaller hulls didn't HAVE HIN's prior 1972 when the feds made same mandatory.
You may, still be able to locate a HIN # on the upper right outside transom, that's where mine was on my '69 23' model.
HTH,
-Mick

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the only thing that makes me doubt it being a mac is the interior. All the cabin pics i see of other mac 21's have a single wood brace supporting the mast in the cabin. I have two metal poles.

The interior is also set up different. when you look in from the hatch the sink is on the right against the V berth and the potty is on the left. Granted the potty may not be a stock option.

The W/21 emblems on the sides of the boat and on the hatch door also make me question who made it.

Some of the gulf coast 21's looked like this but i cannot find much on the interior.

I really wish this had another hull ID number somehwere in the interior. The FLZ hull ID number is on the upper right side of the stern.

I've already contacted my local DNR to ensure i can register it under the FLZ number. Since it came from a state that does not issue titles (the past two states this boat has lived in do not issue boat titles) i don't have any issues getting the proper papers for her. All our DNR wants is the check written out to them to make it legal and they don't care about much else.

sublime08020

Recruit

I know this is an old thread but any luck with identifying ur venture. I was just givin one with the w/21 crest on it with the diff cabin lay outt

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

because i cannot find any more hull numbers i have not identified her any further.

I have gotten her much closer to seeing the water...too many projects and a toddler seem to be a bad combination.

The v-21 main sail seem to fit her perfectly.

I have spreaders on her, seems a PO has put lots of money in adjustable track/pulley systems on her.

I'm currently looking for used jib/storm jib to get her ready for the water.

all i lack now is cleaning/re glassing part of the keel which should be done next week.

I'm anxious to learn to sail with her. We've had lots of gusty days out on the lake and sitting in the power boat watching all the sailboats kind of makes me sad to see her sitting half completed on a trailer.

toddxian

Cadet

W D Shock corp Santana 21 stopped production in the mid 70's. Raced these guys in my youth fun forgiving boat.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

after a few years of ownership, a full restoration she's been ID"d as a WestWind 21, this was probably 1964-1968 production by Roger McGreggor who later when on to produce this boat as a Venture 21 and later a MacGreggor 21

It has no keel locking bolt and the keel bolt is 3/8 (kinda scary!)

I had to fully rebuild the keel
i added a solar charger
batteries on the cheap, all led lights, depth finder and VHF/gps are fed off of 4 lawnmower batteries.
keeping her pure and running wind power only....oars just in case.

I have 2 jibs, one full size and one storm
one main sail with a deep reefing point

I am not living on a lake so i can enjoy this boat all the time rather than trailer sailing.

I still haven't gotten this boat down to florida for any gulf coast/keys sailing. I'll need a motor before i make that journey and a little more time sailing. Shouldnt be hard living on the lake!

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you can thank racoons for the mess on the ground. Left my trash (bread bags from feeding the ducks) in the 5 gallon bucket. The next morning i awoke and they had opened the bucket and made a mess.

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

Re-fit her and get out on the water. I'm a big fan of high-quality boats (which these, admittedly, do not rank very high on the scale) but these are great little knock-about boats. Seaworthy without being ponderous. No systems to speak of which keeps expenses down. Limited brightwork making them low-maintenance. Lightweight and easily-trailered by even a Prius. If you hurt it, you don't wince too hard. All she needs is elbow grease and some love.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

she has underwent a full re-fit....high quality cam cleats, running rigging, new standing rigging, VHF/GSP, new depth finder, solar charger, all led lighting inside cabin/cockpit and navigation/anchor