Identify Boat Please!!

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice
Can Anybody identify this boat. I believe it was imported into South Africa from the US.
2283.jpg
<br />
2284.jpg
<br /><br />The motor has Mercruiser 188HP on the tappet covers. Any info on the motor and/or hull would be appreciated

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identify Boat Please!!

I think it might be a Southern California custom boat. Could be a variety of little manufacturers, but it looks like a late 70's early 80's Carribean or Lavey or Tahiti to me. 20 - 21 footer? I am looking for some pics, Lavey is still around but they don't build that hull anymore if it is them.<br /><br /> http://www.laveycraft.com/index.htm

QC

Supreme Mariner

Here's a Lavey actually a '90, their 21 foot bowrider. It's not right. You can see how the gunnel flows from the helm back is different, but pretty close.<br /><br />
00027385E15.jpg

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice

thanks so far.. looks pretty close. Ive sent them a mail with the pics to see what they say.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Wessel,<br /><br />Why do you want to know? They won't have any specific parts available IMHO. Nostalgia? I can help you find any pieces that you need from here, but most of that stuff is generic across a number of builders . . .

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the offer quitecat, i may take you up on it. There is no specific reason that i would like to know the make (just seems like going to bed with a woman without knowing her name)

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a fletcher hull! I know it 100% sure. But it's a fake copy! They've made an open bow of it! Fletcher arrowbeau 17feet...

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMG2.JPG
<br />Deck is a bit different but the rest is exact the same!

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Is there a hull identification number on the transom at anywhere? I thought that was the law for boats manufactured in north america.

84CJ7

Seaman Apprentice

The 2 barrel carburated ford 302 188hp mercury 888 I/O drive package was a 70's thing, I've personally seen them 72-76 but theyres probably more. If its the ford its obvious with the distributor in front and the angled spark plugs that are impossible to get out around the manifolds. A Ford engine that isnt a volvo penta would hafta be that old. If that were an 888 usually it would have had a big sticker on the top rear of the drive though.<br /><br />Those colors are either a South African thing or really old. The hull on that Lavey has that distinctive slope in front of the windshield, maybe its an older one.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 84CJ7:<br /> Those colors are either a South African thing or really old. The hull on that Lavey has that distinctive slope in front of the windshield, maybe its an older one.
I don't think it is an older Lavey, but one of the others. I'm still thinking maybe a Tahiti, the engine cover looks like an older 17 footer. I still think that boat is 20 - 21 ft. though. <br /><br />Those colors are one of the reasons I think it is from here. These custom builders will let you order with any combo you can come up with . . . :rolleyes:

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the 3rd time its a FLETCHER ARROWBEAU<br />I can know i have the same boat. But original. This one is open bow and the windshield is removed!

QC

Supreme Mariner

bigboy,<br /><br />I am not specifically trying to dispute what you say . . . it doesn't look like a match to me. The deck is what makes a lot of boats different. Many of the hulls have been "splashed" (made a mold from somebody elses hull) by other manufacturers. My old boat shared the bottom hull with about 6 different custom manufacturers here. The decks were the only visual difference.<br /><br />Like you said, maybe a "fake" :confused:

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The deck is also just the same. Search a pic of the inboard version off the arrowbeau! Just they have cutted this bow open or its a molded copy off an arrowbeau with adaptions!

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

That boat looks longer than 17ft to me. Closer to 20ft. I think quietcat has an important point to consider. Many manufacturers copy molds of other's hulls. As one says, you can't always judge a book by its cover.

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice

The hull is a twenty footer but the bow seating is definitely original. the instrument cluster receptical is identical in shape to bigboys.

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice

Here are two more pics of the boat<br />
2312.jpg
<br />
2313.jpg

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice

By the way, there are screw hole to indicate that there was a windscreen fitted

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The dash is the same of my fletcher.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm with bigboy now. That type of dash would not have been used by builders here. All of them place the gages directly into the fiberglass. No "panel" . . .