Ideas for a motor stand

scott11

Seaman
I am in the process of restoring my boat and need to move the engine out of my way to get the transom out. I was planning on renting an engine lift and if possible just moving the engine forward a few feet so its out of the way. I would take it out but my boat is in a portable garage on the lawn so its gonna be hard to move the lift around. I was thinking about having a 4x4 at the front and back mount to cradle to motor and give it support until im done then i will rent the hoist again and lift it back into place. If anybody has any better ideas or suggestions it would really help. I was also thinking if it is kept up in the boat it will be a little bit warmer then having it close to the ground in the winter.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ideas for a motor stand

I was also thinking if it is kept up in the boat it will be a little bit warmer then having it close to the ground in the winter.

Ayuh,... I doubt the difference is measureable....

You don't say what you have for a motor,...
Most V-motors can be set on 3 points,... Both sides,+ the rear,...
Inlines usually just front,+ rear...

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

If those would clear the oil pan they probably would work. I would suggest drilling holes and dropping bolts through the mounts. All it would take would be a stumble and the 4x4 gets knocked out.

scott11

Seaman

Sorry forgot all about that. The motor is a 140 mercruiser. I planned on putting the bolts in and also screwing a 2x4 or something to keep the 2 4x4s spread apart so there wont be any worries there.

Bondo

Staff member

The motor is a 140 mercruiser.

Ayuh,... Take a cruise around an Industrial Park.... A small pallet of the right size works Perfectly,....
And,.. It usually Free...
I've got 1 in the garage bolted to a pallet, sittin' on a 4 wheel dolly....;)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

As someone who has done a total interior rebuild, I'd really recommend you find a way to get the engine out of the boat completely. I know you're only planning on the transom but even then, it's a tremendous amount of dust, dirt and debris. Things will go much better with the engine totally out of the boat and out of the way.

Mine is a 4 cylinder so I put it into a large wheelbarrow. That affords some portability and you can also cover it easily. You may laugh but I actually called a tow truck to have them lift the motor back into the boat! Took less than 20 minutes to lift it in, line it up, and get the bolts snugged up.

cr2k

Captain

Tow truck! That's a novel idea. Something to think about.

Also an old tire (no wheel) just slip the oil pan into the tire and it will hold it fine.

I had to re-do the rear stringers on my Regal and I just moved the engine forward a few feet.

Also easiest is to remove the lags from the stringers rather than the mounts from the engine. This assures that you are close to aligned when you go back.
Then maybe throw some popsicle sticks in to the lag holes to "tighten them up"

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Tow trucks with booms are few and far between in my area. Almost everything is Flatbed except the Big Tow trucks...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If you plan on doing any work to the motor at all I would just pony up the 100 bucks and buy and actuall motor stand.