Ideal for floors

PT

Seaman
I was at work today thinking about the floor in my boat, and i got to wondering has anyone ever used Plexiglass say 1\2 for the floor.It will not Rot ever, it is flat, resin it to the stringers & hull & its there, water should flow. Now the issue of slippery when wet, Carpet it or some type of coating (non skid type).I am almost done with mine wish i had thought of this earlier, but when i do it again if ever i think i look into this seriously. It just seems to me this would be a gr8 way to make it last.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ideal for floors

Howdy, PT.<br /><br />I like a man who thinks outside the box.<br /><br />On the other hand, have you priced 1/2" plexiglass lately?

PT

Seaman

LOL well i priced 1\4 4x8 was $130, but can you price piece of mind :D Think about it this way. If the plexi cost $250 which i doubt. Add up all the resin for coating plywood,cloth,the plywood itself,I really think you could come out ahead even if ya didnt, this stuff will LAST, not like wood, like i said just an ideal, maybe someone will try it ;)

PT

Seaman

BTW there is a piece of 1\2 4x8 at work, been laying there for 2 years , I think it may have found a new home :D

D

DJ

PT,<br /><br />Very interesting thought!<br /><br />However, I think plexi-glass would immediately crack with any flexing of the hull, especially around the fasteners.

PT

Seaman

Hmmmm sorry but that plexi want break, maybe a 30-6 will go thought it :D

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen posts of people using Lexan for a floor on the fiberglassics website. I know it is more expensive but it also is more flexable than plexiglas. Plexiglas will crack under certain strains and weather conditions where as Lexan being softer will not. But I am not sure if any of this would be a problem at 1/2 inch thickness. Just something to look into before deciding.

BillP

Captain

Not that it really mean jack but a 30-06 will go through 1/2" plexiglass like butter.

PT

Seaman

Ah!!! LEXAN you are correct my friend. My blunder.It may be expensive & depending on the size of the boat could be ridicious, Oh well, I think Lexan is slowly sinking, thanks for your input guys. Back to the drawing board :D

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

plexi want crack!!!!!!!!! try running a drill bit though it a little to fast it will run from one side of the sheet clean to the other quick like :mad: trust me i know besides you every tried to get anything to stick to it :eek: You want a floor that never rot! check out, most major builders. They now use solid fiberglass and composite& foam layers to make up there stingers and floors ;) Iguess it's the thought that count's

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

PVC is available in sheet form in various sizes, thicknesses and colors... More flexible and not to awful much $$$ either...<br /><br />Check out your local plastic suppliers.. Just a thought... :confused:

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jomac,<br />As toolmaker I have worked extensively with both plexiglas and lexan and I can tell you for a fact that plexiglas will crack. I have seen it happen many many times when just running a drill thru it. Lexan does not crack but a dril will do exactly as you described.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

me and my cousin invented this formula: :cool: <br />1/2" exterior styrofoam sandwiched btw.<br />2 pieces of luan. foam is closed cell so<br />won't absorb water and offers a very nice<br />cushioned feel. very lightweight also.<br />he used some u-shaped pvc to cover all the<br />exposed ends and laid carpet on top...<br />epoxied the luan before assembly and used<br />liquid nails to glue it all together.<br />all because he was too broke and had the <br />items laying around.... time will tell how<br />it holds up, but seems very good after 3 seasons.<br />neccessity is the mother of invention!

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mellowyellow, I used the same process on my fishbox. 3 years running now and it still like new. The only difference is I didn't use liquide nails just epoxy. Luan is reall a great wood to user because of its dryness and will soak up a lot of epoxy. Once coated good with epoxy it will stand up well. i use the ex luan and have a couple scrap pieces laying on the patio for a couple months now and still hold together good being wet and dry many times and these are raw pieces no epoxy. I also use 2 layers of luan on my floor covered with 1 layer of 17/08 glass. About a rock soild floor and any I have found in a 23' boat.

D

DJ

If you want something that is already 99% sealed, take a look at FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood). It's the stuff that tractor trailer and truck van body sides are made of.<br /><br />The tops and bottoms are completely sealed. The edges can be sealed easily with epoxy.<br /><br />Any trailer repair (big rig) should be able to give you supplier information.

flashback

Captain

go to home depot and pick up some of those new 1X6 plastic decking boards, probably work pretty good.................

flashback

Captain

Yea djohns19, that would be nice, but you know, I was thinking you could plank the floor and seal the seams with a flexible polyurethane, it might last a good while. then on the other hand, maybe don't seal it but leave a small gap and let the water/dirt into the bilge and then pump it out. food for thought.....