Ice Fishing Spot

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't really done a lot of ice fishing so I'm really new to the game. This is one of the lakes that I will probably do most of my fishing. Take a look at the map of the lake here.

Does any one have any suggestions. I have heard there is some decent crappie fishing there. I just dont know where to look.

Thanks a lot!
Josh

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ice Fishing Spot

Oh I forgot to say, its a lake in Otter Tail County Minnesota.

gonefishie

Commander

If you wanna get into ice fishing, iceshanty.com is probably the authority on the subject. There are lots of hardcore hardwater anglers hang out there.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just bought an underwater camera from craigslist and i will not be fishing with out it...

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

ice fishing a new lake is easier than open water in that you can easily talk to the other fisherman. and unlike on open water where fishing with in a 100ft of someone else is bad form ice fisherman fish on top of each other. so go to the lake saturday morning (this saturday may be a bad choice at -20degrees) and look where the houses are. there are no unfound consistant good ice fishing places in ottertail county. people have been ice fishing there for 150 yrs and they have found the good spots. start fishing by a large group of houses and start talking. you will learm more about the lake in 1 day than you could in a season of drilling holes. if there are no houses there are no fish. looking at the map my thought you will find houses along the drop offs and on top of the humps. how far up or down the drop off will be a search for the right depth and it may change as the day goes on. it sounds as if you are a portable or bucket fisherman so you have an advantage on the drop offs as to being able to move up or down easier. i'm older and more wore out so i use a wheel house and maybe move once a day. when we go to a new area like this weekend we are going to the big contest on Gull lake by Brainerd on saturday then fishing a smaller lake on sunday. we usually quiz the bait shop for where the fish are biting and on what. sometimes it pays off and sometimes not.
just remember the number one rule of ice fishing.
STAY ON TOP OF THE ICE
good luck and post how you did.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

arkman- did you get out last weekend?
we bailed on the brainerd tournament because it was too cold. -16 degrees when we were eating breakfast. checked several small lakes but the snow was too deep to get the wheel house out. we tried Serpant lake on saturday but no luck. checked mille lacs on sunday but the fishing reports were slim to none on the east side. pulled the plug and came home.