I want to replace the metal on the side of my pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

shep10759

Recruit
I have a 2006 Bennington 2275RL. The side panels have a lot of rash and small dents. My metal is in the channels on the outside of the frame. I have read where the new boats have gone back to putting the metal on the inside of the frame claiming this helps prevent damage. If I decide to do it this way is there a trim piece to cover the edges? Pros and cons to both. Thanks for any suggestions, Tom

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You would have to fabricate your own trim pieces if you move your fence.

I would simply knock the dents out and vinyl wrap vs replacing the fence. Once you price it, you will understand

ahicks

Captain
An alum. siding pro will have a sheet metal brake. Using that, the raw edge can be folded over (how much depending, but at least 1/4" I would think), which would also reinforce that edge making it a little sturdier and less likely to rattle.

I haven't done it, but the vinyl wrap plan sounds good. Moving the panels from the outside to the inside sounds like a lot of work for the return. It's still going to be damaged. Better to figure out how it's being damaged and and do a little better job of avoiding that situation....

I did try the vinyl sheet that replaces the alum with vinyl. Looked good at first, but didn't work out very well due to the vinyl expansion and contraction with changes in temperature. It's difficult to allow enough room for the big changes in size from freezing temps to 100 degree plus days.

joycebob247

Recruit
I have a 2006 Bennington 2275RL. The side panels have a lot of rash and small dents. My metal is in the channels on the outside of the frame. I have read where the new boats have gone back to putting the metal on the inside of the frame claiming this helps prevent damage. If I decide to do it this way is there a trim piece to cover the edges? Pros and cons to both. Thanks for any suggestions, Tom
Seen a set on Market place my not be in your area was for a 20 foot

Status
Not open for further replies.