I want to repaint my outboard!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I want to repaint my outboard!

I want to repaint my outboard! it is a 1985 Johnson 90hp White...Does anyone know what and where to buy the exact same color? Also a friend of mine has a case of Cold Zinc primer, would that be ok to use? I have used Zinc Chromate primer but never heard of Cold Zinc!

dwagner47

Cadet
Re: I want to repaint my outboard!

I bought OMC paint at my local dealer to repaint an older Evinrude. It is great paint that gave great results. Much better quality than automotive paint. You want to use Zinc chromate or its newer substitute on bare metal spots only. The purpose of the prime is to etch the bare aluminum that oxidizes immediately when exposed to air. I'm not sure cold zinc primer will serve the same purpose.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Cold Zinc type paints are really just souped up rust paints - they have a lot of metallic zinc in them. Like the others say, you need zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer, not just metallic zinc.

Metallic zinc primers ("Rust Paint") protect the base metal by galvanic protection exclusively. Since zinc and aluminium very close together on the galvanic series, it does not provide nearly as much protection for aluminium as it does for steel. Zinc phosphate/chromate coatings on the other hand convert the top surface of the aluminium to a much more corrosion resistant material.

Zinc chromate is a very nasty carcinogen, so it's use is restricted now in many places. Please read the directions before attempting to use it. You will need a respirator, etc. But it is the better corrosion proofing primer.

You've got the other prep steps down like the vinegar etch right?

Pony

Rear Admiral

I restored a little motor last winter and will be doing another this year. The prep is the most important part. As Paul says the Aluminum MUST be etched for it to hold paint. It oxidizes immediately in air, and you can;t get paint to stick right on that.

Take a look at the link in my signature. Paul knows his stuff. He helped me out a lot.