I want to build a water slide

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The land at my cottage has the perfect slope for about 50' and ends up in water the perfect depth. All I need to find is a cheap source of large pipes. I plan to cut them in half and support them from spreading open with wooden frames. I plan on using a spare jet pump to keep water flowing down the slide. If I need more flow I can run it toilet style filling a tank and letting it flush. <br /><br />Any clues on where I can get pipe 30"-36" wide? Plastic would be perfect, non-corrugated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: I want to build a water slide

Coragated plastic road culvert pipe is smooth on the inside due to it being double walled. You can cut it right open with a chain saw. One side will actually lock into the other half. The average piece of plastic culvert normally is sold in 20' lengths. (look at http://www.ads-pipe.com/products/n12.shtml) <br /><br />OR make a wooden chute (slide) and line it with cheap linolium (I have seen that done). Whatever you do make sure you have plenty of water running on it!<br /><br />Bob

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like fun...Plastic pipe in that size is not going to be cheap unless you luck on to salvage or something. I can't even imagine what the wall thickness would be for any type of pipe with a 36" diameter. :confused: <br /><br />An alternative idea....since you are framing the support with wood..how about bending 1/4" laun plywood with exterior glue for the trough? You could buy a heavy vinyl in 54" width to line the bottom and it would have the same effect. Then all you would have to do is weather proof everything.<br /><br />Fiberglassing would work, but to get a smooth finish it would require a lot of labor and materials.<br /><br />I would suggest that the first one down the chute should have on long pants and sleeves for the test run and not be a close member of the family that you have to live with afterwards. :D

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

An after thought...wait a few weeks and turn the water on the hill. After it freezes over you can slide all you want! If the lake freezes over, no telling how far you can slide!! :D :D

sloopy

Commander

this is why me and y friends made a cat walk acros a small cove in the lake, the cat walk slopes down, then we hook a snatch block to the wire and swing down ito thelake!

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard of tying two cats tails together and tossing them across a clothes line...but I never heard of making one walk across a lake... :confused: :confused: :confused: <br /><br />I don't get the hook and snatch part either, but it sounds like fun with the furball. :D <br /><br />Ever heard of a turpentine cat?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Capt. Bob and Sloopy.. You guys are kill'n me..LMAO.. Turpentine cat!!!!.. :eek: :D :D :D LOL!!!

sloopy

Commander

um a kat walk is like a zip line you slide down it, a snatch block is a block that latches onto the rope without havng to pull the whole cable through. then you hold on and hit the water

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sloop...I think we are comin to an understanding.<br /><br />You can make him run but I doubt he will walk after the turpentine...you were right when you said ZIPPPPPPPPPP. <br />The idea you had about the rope and sliding him down it was great! I also like the snatch part....can you imagine that ole cat's surprise when he is zippin around and all of a sudden you snatch the rope!!! :D :D <br />What's up with the block though??<br /><br />Boy oh boy...we are havin some fun now!! :eek:

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have thought of the lined chute idea. I was just hoping I could find some source for cheap big pipe.<br /><br />I figure I would make the whole lake jealous if I made it.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

what about forming a U from concrete and lining<br />it with something slick and soft?

Emby

Seaman Apprentice

How about a temporary slide, rather than a permanent one? The local Cub Scout camp has a good hill (different type of landing zone that yours). The area is used for other things during camp so there is no permanent one, but….<br /><br />On the last day of camp they put out a thick sheet of plastic that looks to be about 25 feet wide and (at least) 50 feet long. (Looks like a really, really thick plastic trash bag. It’s clear, no seams, and flat - not ‘bag’ shaped.) A couple of volunteers with garden hoses and presto – instant water slide.<br /><br />Oh yeah, we also tell the kids that if they soap themselves up really good they go lots faster. And they do! (This has nothing to do with a hundred plus kids, in the woods, lots of sweat, lots of dirt, and lots of parents picking them up in two hours.)<br /><br />Have fun. And be sure to post the before/during/completed pictures for us.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

24" plastic culvert pipe is really a fine width considering it would have to be cut lengthwise. The cost for a 20" section is about $6-8/foot and comes in 20' lengths. Figure 2 1/2 sections will last forever (look at the plastic in landfills!)<br /><br />Bob

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe you could get some good used sewer pipe? Let the neighbors kids try it out first!

Cast-Away

Seaman Apprentice

From one Ontarian to another, try the link below. They are a plastic extruder in Woodbridge. They should be able to direct you to a retailer for their products. Royal Group :D