I want to avoid this section of the forum

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 06 stingray 185 that the previous owner garage kept. It looks brand new. The gel coat is still glossy and the seats look great too. My question is how can I keep that way. All the boat detailing products I have looked at say "restores glossy gel coat" or "removes mildew from vinyl".It is not dull or mildewey. I just want to put somthing on it to protect it from the sun. By the way it will be garage kept at my house too.

Art Bernard

Banned
Re: I want to avoid this section of the forum

If it's garage kept and in great shape, than get yourself a good marine wax (wax, not cleaner wax) and wax her as needed. Armorall on the vinyl now and again is good to do. Above all, wash and clean her after each use to keep her looking good. Remember your in a constant fight with the weather and corrosion, stay on top of it:)

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

In addition to the other post, I would also buff the smooth areas of the gelcoat once or twice a year followed by a good wax. Even when stored in good conditions the gel still gets dirty and can lightly oxidize when exposed to the sun while in use.. There is absolutely no harm in buffing. If the gel is in good shape, just use a light compound like a stain remover or something for light oxidation with a foam buffing pad; no need for a heavy oxidation remover. Also, prop up any floor boards so that air is able to move inside the bilge area (ice box containers as well) and open up the seats so that moisture cannot get trapped in the crevices. Lastly, a good light weight cover when in the garage.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If she's got carpet, get a wet/dry vac and ALWAYS vac ALL the water that you can out of the carpet EVERY time you come home from the lake.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I think someting the others didn't mantion was that the sun will quickly fade that shine over time especially if not covered and or garage kept along with the suface protectants (waxes and such) invest in a tarped car port even if it's a few hendres bucks you will not regret it. I bought mine 6 years ago ($350) and my boat stays dry and out of the eliments year round.But all in all trating like it's new is the key to it's extended life of looking good and performing good!!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would suggest looking into a good "sealer" instead of wax.

Gelcoat is IMO too porous for wax.

Look into Awlcare or I think Meguires sells a polymer sealer.

Stay away from them "magic" coatings ;) .

YD.

Safebet

Cadet

Just plain old Pledge Spray furniture polish is excellent . Just spray after each use and wipe.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

By the way it will be garage kept at my house too.

Oh how nice it would be if this was the case for all boats.....most of the restores here wouldn't be needed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh how nice it would be if this was the case for all boats.....most of the restores here wouldn't be needed.

You mean you DON'T make your wife park HER car outside so your PICKUP and BOAT and be IN THE GARAGE!!!!!
Now that just ain't RIGHT!!!!:facepalm:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

By the way it will be garage kept at my house too.

This alone puts you in great shape. Heck, my uncle has had two boats in my lifetime (bought new). A '77 Rinker and then a '95 SeaRay that he still has. In my opinion he doesn't maintain his things very well at all (other than mechanics). However, they are stored in a boat house during the season and in a barn in the winter. He has never had an issue with rot.

The other big thing is to properly seal anything bolted through or screwed into your transom and deck.

jkust

Rear Admiral

. Armorall on the vinyl nowit:)

Skip the Armorall and use 303 or Macguiers rubber and vinyl products specifically for your seat material. Armorall is not for marine use. I've seen it cause a good amount of damage on some parts of some boats. In particular a nice Dino steering wheel wrecked. You will soon discover that if the word 'Marine' is on a product, the cost is much more than the automotive counterpart. Let it dry after each use, if you vacation and keep it outside for a week keep it covered as much as possible and my best tip that has kept my boats nice is no shoes worn ever in the boat. Good luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have also seen Armorall-related damage and will not personally use it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You mean you DON'T make your wife park HER car outside so your PICKUP and BOAT and be IN THE GARAGE!!!!!
Now that just ain't RIGHT!!!!:facepalm:

Oh no now the wife can't ever get wet, that's a bad bad thing. I have a two car detached for the boats.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought an '87 Crestliner that has been in the garage as well most its life and it looks as new as the day the it was bought. I am in process of tearing out the carpet and getting the floor gel coated then having snap in carpet installed. Right now I am so paranoid about wet carpet it is crazy, cause looking at the glass work in the gunwhales I am not impressed with the factory work. I have already used a polymer wax hoping that would help seal although it sits out of the sun when not in use.

My wife is not allowed to park in the garage....nor is she allowed to park next to it if I have it out in the driveway......although my wife is pretty cool and she shows a lot of respect for things that need to be taken care of. Enjoy your fairly new boat, well it is way newer than mine, lets see I was 20 when my boat was made...lol. Have fun!!!!!!!

Oh no now the wife can't ever get wet, that's a bad bad thing. I have a two car detached for the boats.

she will live get another boat fill your garage with toys and buy her one of those stupid yellow rain jackets

jkust

Rear Admiral

My sig boat has been garaged since day 1 but my biggest issue is the kids opening the suv doors into the ss rub rail. It happened last year and the good news is SS is strong but the bad news is the edge of the door of my $43,000 towrig bent. We replaced the rig with another but I need to figure out a way to put a bumper on the rub rail to stop this from happening again. By the way, I park my car outside so my wife's can be inside.