I want my exhaust louder for a low price

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I want my exhaust louder for a low price

HT32BSX115,

You have a Corsa Captains Call exhaust? What comes with the kit? And is it hard to install?

Let me know, PM me if you want to chat about it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yes I have it. My brother bought this boat new and it came with thru-hulls. He had the Capts Call put on a few years later because it was so unbelievably loud!

I only ran it with the 460 for a summer. I almost never opened them up for the same reason.

When I installed the 454 I just left them out and glued the flaps shut. I have thought about putting them in someday if I can find a decent set of marine (wet) mufflers.

The "kit" would depend on what you order with it. If you do not have the (OMC) Y-pipe, you'd have to pull the engine to install it....no other way. You'd also have to fabricate 4" stainless steel plumbing to match all the rest of the plumbing up. There's no easy way unless Corsa makes a kit specifically for your model boat. They may have in 1993 but I'll bet everything to do it now would have to be custom made.....not really hard if you have access to a GTAW (TIG) welder, a good size power hack saw and some 4" SS tubing. (which I do:D)

The actual diverter valves are just simple "butterfly" valves that move with a simple solenoid. Mine worked very well.

Yeah I can see that your Lib is a little different than mine! (I don't really like to identify myself with "Libs" actually :rolleyes:)

You don't need an exhaust bellows either....My boat ran without an exhaust bellows for about 10 years....(with the OMC King Cobra installed)

Yours looks more like a side exhaust. You could also probably install regular marine mufflers

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you really want it before you do it. I have a Ducati 996S with Ti Termignonis, and while it does sound GREAT (muffled and DEEP, nothing like a Harley with straight pipes), it is LOUD. I need to wear earplugs when I ride and set off car alarms when I ride by. It's also tough to not pi**-off the neighbors when I pull out of the driveway. While I wouldn't change a thing on this bike, I often wish I had another that was a bit quieter. On a boat, I would hate being that loud. Can't hear the music, can't talk to the other passengers, and tough to mellow out on those rare occasions when I want to relax. Being that loud would just be too limiting for me. Loud can be nice, but $$$ and tough if you want to go back. Now, if somebody would make something that you could adjust from LOUD to quiet when you want it, then....... give me one now!
my $.02,
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR
'00 Ducati 996S

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Go down to the local drag strip, record a night's worth of noise.
When you want noise, play the tape...loud.
Not very expensive, but after you have had through hull exhaust you'll be glad you didn't spend the money.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I was just kidding above, and sorry you're getting so much flack...

There's nothing I like better than the sound sounds your talking about... I spend time on the water near where they test run Fountains and there are a number of local people that have big muscle boats... tripple blown big blocks running dry exhaust... that's loud... (and I love it - even though there are a couple of guys I can hear coming all the way across the river - 1-2 miles!)

I put mufflers inline on my 383 behind the imcos and long risers on our "ski" boat, but then again, the 4" pipes exit above the rub rail and it's probably a good bit louder than you are even with the mufflers I installed to keep it tame enough not to have people popping off rounds at us when we go skiing early in the morning when the water's like glass...

oh, and love the sound of those Ducs too...

MikDee

Banned

See the picture where my exhausts are. They are a little different with the newer models of the liberator. That is why half of it sits in the water...

One question, Do you have marine mufflers on this boat from the manifolds to the tips? Or, do you have straight 4" rubber hose going directly to the thru-hull? I can see it being muffled under water at idle but, can't believe it's not deafening on plane :confused:

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Just take the exhaust manifolds off all together. Costs nothing and really gives off a cool light show. You can tie a soup can behind your boat for some added rooster tail effect......:D

Find a used set of 90 degree risers and add outlets.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

My 94 Crownline has Thru Hull Exhaust straight out the back under the Swim Platform. It is very close to the water when idling and not to to loud. I also only have a 305, but it does sound good. When I get up on Plane, you can't hear it in the boat, so it is nice and relaxing.

I was out with a guy last weekend that has a 350 Fuel Injected and Corsa exhaust coming out the sides of the boat. It was loud all the time, even when on plane and he had Mufflers installed. So I like it through the back of the boat, but would never have it on the Sides. I can even here my belts turning on my engine as its that quiet while I am on plane.

Now behind the boat is a different story.

Bryan

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

One question, Do you have marine mufflers on this boat from the manifolds to the tips? Or, do you have straight 4" rubber hose going directly to the thru-hull? I can see it being muffled under water at idle but, can't believe it's not deafening on plane :confused:

I have the 4" rubber hose that goes directly to the thru-hull.

MikDee

Banned

I have the 4" rubber hose that goes directly to the thru-hull.

Aside from moving your tips more to the center, & higher on your boat (in a direct line with your risers) and patching the remaining holes, you could possibly get fiberglass exhaust tubing (that would be louder, I think they use this on long runs for inboard boats) to replace the 4" rubber exhaust hose thats there now muffling your exhaust, But you'd need to make up rubber couplings about 4" long, or so? and double clamp every joint (per. C.G. regs) to slip over the risers, & fiberglass piping in between.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,

I'll have to look into the fiberglass exhaust hose....

MikDee

Banned

Thanks,

It's rigid fiberglass Tubing, you cut with a hacksaw,,, it won't absorb noise either, like rubber :D

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo... What on gods green earth is that???????? Stovepipe????

Ayuh,........ Pretty Much,......
I happened to have abunch of 4, 1/2" SSteel pipe,....
So I Used It........
It fits, real Nicely Over the Merc. rubber couplers........Thank God for Band-Clamps....

Ayuh,....... SSteel will be even Louder.....

MikDee

Banned

Ayuh,........ Pretty Much,......
I happened to have abunch of 4, 1/2" SSteel pipe,....
So I Used It........
It fits, real Nicely Over the Merc. rubber couplers........Thank God for Band-Clamps....

Ayuh,....... SSteel will be even Louder.....

That be true Bond-o :D