I want my exhaust louder for a low price

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 Four Winns Liberator with a 454 OMC King Cobra. I was looking for some input as to what will make the boat a lot louder for a fairly inexpensive price.

Thanks!

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I want my exhaust louder for a low price

may I ask....
... WHY?

TheChugBoat

Seaman Apprentice

i have thru hull exhaust on my 4.3 and its pretty darn loud. not sure if you already have that or not but i cant imagine it being much louder than it is now...i have trouble hearing the stereo and its aftermarket

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

My boat has thru hull exhaust, but isn't that loud. The weight of the big block makes the exhaust reside half in and half out of the water which results in a quiet rumble. When I get on plane you can hear it, but I would like it to be a little louder :D

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

But don't bring the noisy thing around me.
---------------------------------------QUOTE DON S----------------------

I love it that made me laugh :) I agree lol

LIBFORLIFE

Well, You could try just pulling off the Exhaust bellows. Most performance boats go bellowless lol.....They say it makes a noticable sound differance and if I remember right it did on my 4 banger I had 11 years ago. Not much differance in speed but it does make it louder....It may do a lot more on a 454. Im not gonna try on mine, I think its sounds pretty good as it is through the prop.

OH DUH...Through hull exhaust....No bellows

I just relised I said that LOL :)

Bondo

Staff member

I was looking for some input as to what will make the boat a lot louder for a fairly inexpensive price.

Ayuh,..... I built my own,.... For Nothin'......

I've been trying to make them Quieter ever since......I'm at about Gen VII or so now....

f11297820.jpg

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

BAYLINER185,

Thanks for the input! I'll have to look into the Exhaust Bellows. Are the bellows the metal thing that are welded inside the exhaust looking from the outside of the boat?

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

LIB sorry I edited my post

You may not have a bellows for exhaust since its through hull. The bellows is the big rubber hose like thing like the one around your Main drive shaft that runs the prop....

There is usually a lower one wich the exhaust goes through and out the cente rof the prop but with a through hull usually you dont have it.

I think what your looking at are flappers and you dont want to remove those or you could get water in your cylinders if the motor is not running. Keeps water from running back in the manifilds.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, that's what somebody told me about. They said the exact same thing. They said I could get a cam pretty cheap and that would make a difference, what do you think?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hey Bro
I have a 454 with thru hull exhaust. Lets just say it's loud enough. (Did I just say that? I sound like the folks that were around iboats when I first got here :eek:) You also have to think that there is a lot of areas that are cracking down on noise so if you have no reason but wanting noise buy a stereo and you can turn it down when needed.
As for you motor ideas. A cam is just part of the package. Without the rest you will have nothing but headaches. Take a look at this to see what you will be getting into. http://www.supernova19.com/motor_build_ii_at_supernova19_com.htm

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

On Alabama waters, the law states the boats exhaust cannot be any louder than when it was manufactured, ie, no modifications, Might check the local laws before you make any changes.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Bondo... What on gods green earth is that???????? Stovepipe????

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could mount a bicycle wheel to the crank pulley and use clothespins to clip baseball cards so that they rub on the spokes and make noise.

I really don't get what's so attractive about making a boat louder than it needs to be. You'll have no performance gain at all, and after awhile it will probably annoy you as much as it annoys everyone around you.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

My boat has thru hull exhaust, but isn't that loud. The weight of the big block makes the exhaust reside half in and half out of the water which results in a quiet rumble. When I get on plane you can hear it, but I would like it to be a little louder :D

just get new pipes / extensions that point up and somewhat forward so the noise is transmitted so that you can hear it... it's there, just pointing at others right now...

:D

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

Everybody is thinking my boat is very loud. It is not at all, neither inside nor outside the boat. I don't know why. I am (like many others) attracted to the sound of muscle and power, that is why I want the boat a little louder than it is now.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I had those thru-hulls on mine too. In fact I had the Corsa Capts Call system when I had the 460 King Cobra installed.

I thought about hooking them up after I pulled the Cobra out and decided against it.

They didn't do anything for performance and every time I switched them to "thru-hull" everybody in the boat would yell "Turn it off turn it off turn it off!!!"

So I left them off most of the time. I didn't install them with the 454. They're sitting in a box now. I guess I'll "ebay" them along with all the other Wunderful king Kobra stuff.....

Now this thing will now blow an OMC powered Liberator right out of the water! Thru hull or not! (one of these days I'm going to swap out the 454 for a 502!)

By the way, you can see the water line on mine. That's where it is with a "big block" in it. (actually it's even lower than that too.....since the drive is not completely submerged The 454 might be only a few lbs lighter than a 460 ...but the Bravo III is MUCH heavier than a Qing Qobra!!). If yours are lower than that you may have them too low. be careful of reversion if one of your flaps sticks open or breaks off...

liberator2.jpg

dsc_0028.jpg

H2ot Times

Cadet

Go to craigs list or ebay and get yourself log manifolds, snails, and exhaust tips for a jet boat and run the exhaust through your transom. There is nothing quite like the sound of a healthy American V8. Geez.

H2ot Times

Cadet

Get on ebay or craigs list and find yourself the exhaust log manifolds, snails, and exhaust tips for a jet boat and run them thru your transom. If you need help figuring out how to plumb the water to them PM me. There is nothing like the sound of a healthy American V8. If they ask why you want it, they wouldn't understand anyway.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

See the picture where my exhausts are. They are a little different with the newer models of the liberator. That is why half of it sits in the water...

Attachments

• Exhausts.jpg
    Exhausts.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0