'I turned around for a split second...and she was gone'

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer
Almost the exact same thing happened last year. We have had two drownings so far this year and both were preventable. Watch your kids around the water, it only takes a second.<br /><br /><br />LAKE WYLIE, S.C. -- Nearly 24 hours after 2-year-old Trinity Nicole Casey disappeared from a family gathering, police divers found her tiny body Wednesday in Lake Wylie, a few feet from the backyard pier.<br /><br />S.C. officials had issued an Amber Alert, and dozens of local, state and federal officials as well as neighbors spent Tuesday night scouring the lake area near the N.C. line. The incident generated national media attention.<br /><br />The girl was found floating about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday near her grandparents' pier on Riverfront Road, according to the York County Sheriff's Office.<br /><br />No criminal charges are anticipated because the girl appears to have drowned accidentally, but her body will be examined by the York County coroner's office, said Kristie Jordan, staff attorney for the Sheriff's Office.<br /><br />"I don't think there's anything at this point that indicates anything other than a tragic accident," Jordan said. "This was just a momentary loss of attention."<br /><br />Although Trinity was found in such a logical place, York County Sheriff Bruce Bryant said it wasn't unusual that it took a day to find her in the murky water, especially since she was so small. Trinity's family described her as about 2 feet tall and 20 pounds.<br /><br />"We have spent as much as two and three months here searching for people who drowned," Bryant said.<br /><br />Trinity's death came only a few days after her family had moved to the area from Illinois. Josh and Jeanette Casey and their four children -- ages 1, 2, 9 and 12 -- came to Clover to be closer to family.<br /><br />"They all wanted a fresh start," said David Jensen, 22, of York, Josh Casey's half brother.<br /><br />The get-together Tuesday was the first time the family had met the Caseys' youngest children, Jensen said.<br /><br />Most of the kids and adults were swimming that afternoon, but not Trinity, recalled Amanda Duncan, 26, Jensen's fiancée.<br /><br />"She was scared of that water," Duncan said.<br /><br />Duncan said she brought the girl inside to change her diaper, took her back by the dock and then turned to help the Caseys' 1-year-old, who was in a kiddie pool.<br /><br />"I turned around for a split second to pick him up and she was gone," Duncan said, breaking into tears. "It wasn't even one minute."

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: 'I turned around for a split second...and she was gone'

How very very sad. All the heartache and guilt associated with it will last a lifetime.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I have a one year old. This just reinforces my policy that he wears a life jacket within fifty feet of the water. This is a heart breaking story.

rogerwa

Commander

I have a 5 y/o and we have a cabin on a slow moving river. He doesn't go on the dock unless he has the life jacket on. the others all can swim and are older. But he still gets to wear the jacket.. No exceptions.

sangerwaker

Commander

Same for my 6 y/o. He turns 7 in a few weeks, but we still require him to wear a vest when on the dock. No exceptions. He fights with me sometimes, but I will never cave until he is an excellent swimmer.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Even excellent swimmers can drown if they hit their head...

LadyFish

Admiral

We live on the water and the rule at our house is NO kids without life vests on and NEVER near the dock area without an adult-even WITH their vest on. I don't care if their parents say they can swim or not.<br /><br />Last summer our 2 year old grandaughter was standing on the dock and our dog brushed by her and knocked her into the canal. She was wearing her lifevest and we were right there to yank her out.<br /><br />It dosen't matter how careful you think you're being, something is bound to happen sooner or later. We are very strict about our rules and they superceed whatever the parents say at our house.

Moody Blue

Captain

A terrible tragedy, one that they will never get over and one they will never forgive themselves for. Make your children wear the PFD's no matter what. I do, and today our son is still alive because of it. The exact same thing almost happened to us 10 years ago and I will never forget it. I had written this on an earlier post but I think it bares repeating here.<br /><br />"My son, 3yrs old at the time, had an experience we will never forget. While at a family reunion at a relatives cottage he managed to wander away without anyone noticing. After a frantic search, found him several minutes later in the boat house in the water caught under the dock beside a boat. He had tried to get in the boat but fell into the water and was unable to get out. Fortunatley he was wearing the life jacket and it probably saved his life."<br /><br />Can't stress enough that young children must wear a PFD anywhere around the water. I don't believe "on the dock" or "within 50ft" is safe enough. It litterally takes seconds for a child to travel 50ft and fall into the water without you knowing. Please be safe. You often don't get second chances.

Moody Blue

Captain

Ladyfish, good for you for enforcing your rules. You can't be too careful with young children and water.<br /><br />
It dosen't matter how careful you think you're being, something is bound to happen sooner or later.
So true.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I am sure there will be more of these sad cases.

D

DJ

This is a HUGE problem here in Phoenix. 29 and counting. We have allot of swimming pools, many in disrepair, green water, etc.<br /><br />There is NO excuse for this.<br /><br /> This is a PARENTAL issue.<br /><br />The last set of "so called" parents are blaming everone but themselves. They're asking for legislation for: pool fences, alarms, nets, etc. And, they're getting lawmakers buy in.<br /><br />Wake up people, your children are YOUR responsibilty.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

OK, I know I'm being cold and unfeeling here, but " Duncan said she brought the girl inside to change her diaper, took her back by the dock and then turned to help the Caseys' 1-year-old, who was in a kiddie pool.<br /><br />"I turned around for a split second to pick him up and she was gone," Duncan said, breaking into tears. "It wasn't even one minute." "<br /><br /> Who in their right mind takes a 2 year old ANYWHERE near water and turns their back on them? I feel very sorry for her but even worse for the girl- her mother let her down and she perished because of that. Yes, I'm a perfect father who NEVER does anything wrong. Yea, right. But, common sense must prevail here. <br /><br /> You wouldn't let her wonder on the roof either, would you? <br /><br />UFM82

Kenneth Brown

Captain

About 6 years ago I was given a missing child call. I happened to know the family whose house we went to. We looked around for several hours. Dogs, about 30 cops, and tons of citizens. A new officer (Jodie) who grew up with my little brother and is now my Chief found the 2 yo in the pond about 250 feet from the house. Jodies son was about the same age and looked exactly the same. Somehow he handled it and remained calm. The images of that baby still haunt me. That night I turned my equipment in and quit. I told them I couldn't see it happen again. After holding my 3 yo for about 4 hours that night I asked for my job back. I'm still just scared ****less when my babies are around water.