I tried eating armadillo today.......

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
it's now one of those meats on my not to eat list along with racoon, Possum, rattlesnake and skunk, now ,i have never tried eating skunk and i don't know of anyone who has ever done so,my question is What meat would you not eat? and what is your favourite meat to eat? <br />My favourite meat is chicken,cooked any which way :)

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: I tried eating armadillo today.......

I'm surprized about rattlesnake. I always heard it was good. I have had alligator and wasn't fond of it though it was edible. Favorite is New York Strip from a hot grill. As a side question, asked by Darrel to Stephanie on "Newhart", "what's your favorite part of the squirrel?"

18rabbit

Captain

Armadillo … a.k.a. ‘opossum on the half-shell’… :) Never had it…they’re too fast. I’ll eat anything that doesn’t crawl out of the way fast enough.<br /><br />Favorite?…humm… anything that comes out of the ocean…it’s all good! :) Quick seared or warmed can be good but fully cooking ocean anything usually ruins it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dude Elmer<br /> ya have to tenderize them with a steel belted radial first.<br /> but nothin beats possum and sweet taters.<br /> rattlesnake was pretty good never tried a water moccosin though. doubt I ever will but if gas prices keep going up I may have to.<br /> good luck and keep chewing :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. <br /><br />Ate a few 'possums during the depression. Also had 'coon and groundhog once each. Back then meat was meat and it was as good as one could get. Like any meat, knowing how to prepare it makes a lot of difference.<br /><br />What would I not eat? Depends on how hungry I was. Ate bugs during survival training.<br /><br />Favorite? Bison, venison, beef, turkey and chicken. In that order.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

As long as you didn't have any bread of any kind with your meal, or a cigarette after, you'll be fine. :D <br /><br />My favorite is Gator . I have had manatee when I was a kid, and as I recall, it was awesome...Tasted exactly like ham, which is my second favorite.<br />Next is snapper/grouper/perch iether blackened, or almondine.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

When i lived in Baton Rouge LA,some friends of mine always hunted for squirrels,there was hardly any meat on those d@rn critters,i prefer rabbit to squirrels any day.<br />Have any of y'all tried feral pigs? hey! they're great,i was very surprised to see how little fat was on those wild hogs,that meat was some tender not like that armadillo,hell you could've chewed on that for days,the dude that cooked it said it was roasted on a spit,Maybe i'll try it again some day but only if it's prepared differently.<br />I had gator and frog legs at Mulates restaurant in Henderson Louisiana once,now that was finger lickin good :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

MAN!! PETA would have a field day with this thread.<br /><br />What I wouldn't eat....dunno...tried lottsa stuff. Some liked, some didn't like. I try not to eat Crow.:) Guess it would depend on how hungry ya' are.<br /><br />A tender fillet mignon on the grill always makes me drool. I think my favorite aquatic creature is Frog. Lottsa fun gettin them. Fresh fish is good. Sea food wise...fresh scallops. I mean you go gettim' type fresh.<br /><br />I'm hungry.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets see, I've eaten horse, rattlesnake, frog legs, gator, red meats, white meats, and "the other white meat" pork.<br />My least favorite thing to eat are crawdads. Tried them once and did not like the taste. Maybe I didnt eat them correctly, <br />I dont know. <br />My favorite is a steak off the grill, ribeye or any of the better cuts. <br />Horse is ok, kinda stringy, rattlesnake is a firm white meat, good with bbq sauce on it. Frog legs are awesome if cooked right. Gator is a firm meat also, kinda tasteless.<br />Heck, I'll pretty much eat anything if I like the taste. I had some dishes from India a few years ago and it was great. Curry if done right is good. They also cook alot with celentro, which I was not aware of. I always thought it was a South American spice. I like lamb if done right with mint jelly to go with it.

18rabbit

Captain

...any of y'all tried feral pigs?
There is no such thing. They are just domesticated pigs that vote Libertarian. ;) <br /><br />Those cute, pink, short snout, curly tailed pigs you see in farm pictures (and we eat as store bought bacon) are Spanish pigs. They are very domesticated. The first generation to be born back into the wild will have shorter hind legs, longer snout and longer teeth, and …hair. They never really go all the way back to being a wild animal again.<br /><br />As the Spanish missionaries journeyed up the California coast, building a mission at the end of each day’s travel, they let their pigs go into the wild. The pigs wouldn’t totally un-domesticate and they would gorge themselves on wild acorns, making for a very tasty food source that didn’t need to be maintained and wouldn’t run away. Need a ham? … walk out the backdoor and grab the nearest pig.<br /><br />In 1910, twenty Russian boars (10 male/10 female) that were in a Monterey County hunting club facility got loose and escaped into the wild. They immediately started breading with the Spanish pigs. The result is what connoisseurs of meat consider to be the highest quality and best tasting critter you can ever get. Only in California…kinda. <br /><br />That area is still one of the best places to hunt wild pig. Just over the hill from Clint Eastwood’s Carmel place is the U.S. Army base, Fort Hunter Liggett. They have installed free-to-use facilities for processing pigs hunted by the public. They used (still?) to do free pig hunting seminars.<br /><br />Pigs have overrun the state (in a lot of contexts!) and exist in every county, from Mexico to Oregon…from Arizona to off the coast (that means the Channel Islands, where bow hunting for pigs is permitted).<br /><br />Note from Arnold: Please come to Calee-fornia and hunt hour peegs. I needs your monies. Taste hour peegs and you’ll be bok. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Wouldnt want to eat:<br />1. Dog, I love them so much<br />2. Monkey, I wuld rather eat human flesh than monkey<br />3. About half the stuff I see on Iron Chef<br />4. Whale, porpoise, sea turtle, manatee, nothing so cute and near extinction, however I am curious about the taste of elephant, lion and tiger<br />5. Bear, why can't folks just leave those poor fellas alone?<br /><br />My favorite meat is prolly a pot roast, slow cooked with taters and carrots and onions and stuff. I would love to try snake, rabit, great white shark, camel, goat and lobster(I hear those are really good).

gonfishn

Commander

Pretty much have tried it all when it was passed to me..Still can't get use to eatn crow at times in my life.. :D

18rabbit

Captain

I would love to try ... great white shark ...
We can’t eat Fluffy (great white shark) anymore. They are a protected animal but we don’t know why. Fluffy is not endangered…likely over populated off our shores.<br /><br />Personally, I’m inclined to limit my attempts to eat something that is simultaneously trying to eat me. Polar bears and saltwater crocs are also safe around me. :D

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In survival training we ate lizards(easy to catch on a cold night)carpet vipers, cobras and desert monitors.The monitors tasted good,but gave an even better fight when you tried to catch them.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like gator meat and frog legs. Crawdads are excellent when cooked right. Venison and buffalo are good too. As a kid we used to get Beefalo a lot (cross between buffalo & cow). <br />I will not eat the brain or reproductive organs of any animal. Too many strange hormones / chemicals to deal with. Also can't stand the smell of kidneys cooking.<br /><br />One of my favorite dishes was beef tongue burritos made for me by a girlfriend in El Paso TX once. I've never had them like that since.

gaugeguy

Captain

Most favorite...young bull moose.<br /><br />Least favorite...chicken. Had a couple bad experiences, nuf ced. ;)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by guageguy.<br />
Least favorite...chicken. Had a couple bad experiences, nuf ced.
I've eccountered a few folks who would not eat chicken when eating out. Something to do with the old adage "everything tastes like chicken" :eek: However i don't have that problem.I like eating chicken. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

The weirdest meat I've ever eaten was Kangaroo!<br /><br />Roo Burgers, from a street vendor, right here in New York City!<br /><br />They were tasty!

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br />I like eating chicken. :)
That's why I'll keep my bad experiences to myself ;)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Kenny, nothing against street vendors but how many kangaroo ranches y'all got around there? :D