I thought bad luck only happened in threes...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
this week is just kicking my a44.<br /><br />The wife unexpectedly got called to Houston Sunday night her Dad's in ICU. I had to stay up with my youngest all night Sunday night (girls are such sissies when they're sick). She finally stopped throwing everthing up early Monday morning. By Monday afternoon she had a fever & sore throat. I had some critical stuff at work Monday & Tuesday so I couldn't stay home. <br /><br />Meanwhile I had left my wallet at my sister's house Sunday, an hour's drive, but she was sick Monday & couldn't bring it to me. I had no money & no credit cards for two days, the house was pitifully low on groceries; Monday night I was too sleep-deprived to go get it. Tuesday afternoon I had just enough gas to get to her house, so I retrieved the wallet.<br /><br />This morning the kid is still sick, the mrs. still in Houston, only now the toilets & tubs won't drain. Delivered the sick kid to her aunt's house; she can take her to the doctor. Called a plumber. Now I just have to get the wet carpet up. At least I can miss work today, but is this how I want to spend my vacation?<br /><br />Maybe I should just sit back and wait for the fire to start. Or, I've got a tooth that's due for a root canal - surely it'll start hurting today.<br /><br />Should I be buying lotto tickets?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I thought bad luck only happened in threes...

Not threes, JTexas; bunches, like bananas.<br /><br />Hang in there, it wont last forever. :)

KaGee

Admiral

We have all been there at some time or another. Hang in there J... this too shall pass.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Not uncommon, had a 3 month string last summer, started with losing a hatch cover on the boat, and it snowballed over 3 months, all little things, with no thing in between. Talk about a fire? I had my moments. :confused:

Twidget

Commander

My son had that throwing up thing a few weeks ago. That is some nasty stuff.<br /><br />I feel for you on losing your vacation. <br /><br />I finally got a week off last summer and was going to work on my boat. Neighbors behind me were trying to sell their house and left town. Unfortunately, they left their 2 Labs. One of them was young and evidently missed human interatction. She would start barking about 11pm and literally go all night until the sun started to come up. No way to contact the owners, whole neighborhood was miserable for a few weeks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

okay that was Wednesday, and the plumbers didn't show up all day. Kids stayed overnight at friends, I woke up Thursday 4am with the stomach bug myself and still no functioning toilets in the house. Went over & let myself in to the friends' house (really good friends) 'cause I knew what was coming I couldn't just cut loose in the backyard.<br /><br />Somebody took the sick one to the doc Thursday, she's got the flu. Plumbers came lste Thursday afternoon & cleaned out the line. Wifey got home Thursday night. By this morning I'm pretty much back to normal.<br /><br />But, the trouble with the plumbing: roots in the line, now they wanna do a colonoscopy; run a camera down the line, survey the damage then fix it. I'll get that bad news Monday.<br /><br />At least I got the Mrs. back, and toilets & showers. Her dad's health is failing gradually - after a life of hard drinking the liver scan said it's starting to go, they don't call it "liver failure" just yet. He beat colon cancer about 10 years ago & considers every day a bonus. A pretty colorful character.<br /><br />anyways, thanks for listening.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hey. You're amoungst friends, J.<br />I used to run the crew that did that camera thing, until last year when I retired....It truely is the way to go. You find out precisely where the problem is, dig up that part only and repair it, and your line is as good as new. It does the most good for the least amount of money.<br /><br />But anyhow, we all have "the series" to contend with, every now and then. So it helps to have friends to drink a digital beer with in the digital alley.