I think my Shop is Falling Down!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
The company I work for has rented this old building for me to have a shop in. Truth be known, this building was built before the 1900's.<br /><br />It has two big bay doors. I keep my personal truck parked there during the winter. Today I checked the oil before coming home. I opened that bay door where my truck was parked. I noticed in front of the truck on the floor was red brick chips. I then noticed some on the hood of my truck. This is the first time I have noticed this.<br /><br />Outside on the ground is quite a few pieces of brick that has fallen from the building. This shop is right next to a busy state highway. It is in the city and has a low speed limit. Outside in front of the shop the road started caving in last year. The city came out and fixed the pipe and filled it back in with gravel. Well it is really caving in a bigger area now. When the trucks come down through there, it shakes the old building. <br /><br />I feel that is is just a matter of time before something happens. I plan to bring my truck home this weekend and don't think I will store it in there next year. <br /><br />Here is my question, If my truck does get smashed because of the building falling down, who is responsible? Would I get a new bucket truck?<br /><br />I just hope I'm not in the building if it does collapse! :eek: <br />Thanks.

Homerr

Commander
Re: I think my Shop is Falling Down!

Whatever insurance the building and property has would have to pay for the damages.<br /><br />That's what I'd guess anyway...<br /><br /><br />H.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I think I would call and find out!! Pry wouldn't be a bad idea to let the owner know also. Perhaps it is time to move :eek:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I showed the owner last fall about the numerous bits of brick laying on the ground. I have even showed my boss. He has even been in the shop when the big trucks go by. <br /><br />I'm going to videotape the ground outside the shop. Then rake up the ground so none of the bricks are there. After a couple of weeks I'll video again. I hate to get them to move the shop. It took 3 years for them to get me that one.<br /><br />I really don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I'm wondering if I need to call a city official, and then who would that be? I just don't want to be in there if the building is ruled ussafe.

bubbakat

Captain

SS call the city building and ground safty commettie (sp)<br />More the likely it is chaired by one of the city council men or person.<br />I would say from them renting the shop for you the repair or replacement of the truck would be in your hands. they are only liable for outside safty of other persons.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Check for bullet holes. Maybe someone shot the red bricks like they shot the transom and trim pump motor :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

depending on how far up the food chain you are and the attorney used, if the truck is damaged and you had knowledge of an impending structural failure you could actually be held responsible. document everything and keep copies.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Like rodbolt said, documentation is key. Take pics...Lots and lots of pics. Pics of the sinkhole out front, the falling brickwork, any cracks in the building. If you have any suspicion at all, that the street falling in has anything to do with this, call the city, and reccommend that a city engineer inspect the street, and your building for any associtaed damage. That way, if-n-when it comes down,or other damage surfaces, the city has no alternative but to accept thier responsibility.<br />The enineering dept will probably expidite any repairs the city would need to perform, just to limit liability, and for public safety.<br />If they find your building unsafe, they also should have liability, and find you another building, reimbersing for any and all inconvienience. Cities are sue-shy, so expect a thurough investigation by them, and at least three or four return-appointments.<br />They will not toy with this, or try to blow it off.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I think I will get my truck and personal equipment out of the building. That way there won't be any dispute on the replacement of it and my equipment.<br /><br />My wife is more concerned for my saftey than anything which is understandable. Some days I will be in there all day, and others just a few minuets to pick up spare equipment or materials.<br /><br />When the trucks go past the shop and hit the bumps from previous repairs, you can feel the floor movement. I know it has to transmit into the sturcture of the building. On the front of the building you can easily see large cracks in the mortar. I think most of them is due to it settleing.<br /><br />Something I didn't mention. Inside the building is a natural spring that runs constant. They have a drainage system so that the water doesn't run across the floor. I am also thinking that this spring could be washing out the infra structure under the road. A city worker has told me the city has had problems with this section of town for many years.<br /><br />Today, I'm going to express my concern to my boss and put the ball in his court. I will let him tell the landlord about the problem. The landlord makes good money off the rent for this property, so I imagine he may want to do what he can to save the building.<br /><br />Yep, its time for me to head to work, I'll check back this afternoon and let you know what transpired. Thanks.....Anyone got a hardhat?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Do they have a building inspectors cert?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm not sure about the building inspector NYM. Our county takes care of the codes and permits for the surrounding counties. The main guy just retired, but they have hired him back part time until they can get someone certified. So I guess we don't have one, but he's part time with no authority since he is now retired? :confused: <br /><br />I showed my boss the brick chips on my truck this morning. He said he would get with the owner of the building to see what to do. While we was outside looking up at the front of the building, in one corner there is about 3 or 4 bricks hanging out of the face of the building. As we glanced up again, we saw this bird sticking his head out of the bricks. <br /><br />Going to go get my truck later on this evening. Boss man said he wasn't sure who's insurance would cover what. I did find out that the building originally brewed beer. They used the spring water that comes up through the floor.