I think I've done the dumbest thing ever today.....UPDATE

Pony

Rear Admiral
Today I was in the parking lot at work...its a new best buy store and we are still setting it all up for the opening so the lot has like 10 cars in it.....I see a spot I want I start towards it, when all of a sudden i smash the front left corner of my truck into a light post. drove it to the shop later in the day. the alignment is so bad the steering wheel was upside down when traveling straight foreward. So I figured i'd post my day just so all can get a chuckle....since not everyday is it that someone hits a light post in an empty lot. Also figured that some of you have similar expiriences and maybe then i wont feel so stupid, not to mention mad at myself.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: I think I've done the dumbest thing ever today.....UPDATE

Nope. Never done anything that stupid. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by pony85:<br /> So I figured i'd post my day just so all can get a chuckle....since not everyday is it that someone hits a light post in an empty lot. [/quote]<br /><br />Ohhh. that's funny . . . LOL<br /><br />
Also figured that some of you have similar expiriences and maybe then i wont feel so stupid, not to mention mad at myself.
Oh, I have a few too. Not tellin' yet though.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't have been so bad if that light pole hadn't jumped out in front of you. ;) ;)

ndemge

Commander

I'd sue best buy for not bolting it down, it obviously moved, I'd I'll betcha it didn't signal first!

Pony

Rear Admiral

seems like it jumped in front of me....ive replayed the incident in my head now numerous times, and i stil cant see the pole.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Really, you hit a light post in an empty parking lot. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone anywhere thoughout history ever doing anything nearly that stupid. :D

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are gona have to get in line. I was at my library one Sunday and didn't know if it was closed. There was one car in the lot. I was cruising thru real slow looking in the window for life when all of a sudden my car jerked to a stop. Yep, I hit the concrete barrier of a light pole. First I scanned to make sure no one saw me. Then I got out of the car and took off the crumpled license plate holder and snuck off. I never told anyone until now.

Pony

Rear Admiral

may sound like the worst excuse ever but the posts were the same color as the newly paved lot. never saw the concrete part......but i left a nice mark on it

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Did the same thing about 1 year into owning my new Durango.....Pulled into the bank teller.Me and the GF were stopping at the bank to get some cash to go get a bite to eat. As I leave the teller window,I pull ahead slowly and turn towards her and asks where she wanted to eat,right about the time I would expect an answer she quietly says "pole" and I mean alomost as if she whispered it.....I continued to look at her with a puzzled look on my face of "WTF is pole?Never heard of the restaraunt" and she says it again,equally as loud.... Right then I look up and it was to late,I think I hit the brake the same time I hit the pole....I was so upset at both of us....Me for hittin git and her for not yelling POLE at me instead of quietly saying it. I backed up, drove around the corner behind a store where nobody could see me, and opened the hood.Luckily no major damage in front other then the bumper and supports...I got lucky as I have the towing package with the xtra trans cooler mounted on front of the radiator.My bumper supports were about 1/4" away from ruining it.<br /><br />They just rebuilt the bank so my pole is gone, but that sucker had a lean going on that made me wonder if it was going to fall over any minute.<br /><br />So you are not the first and wont be the last.<br />Body shop quote $1500 to fix.

Homerr

Commander

I actaully watched a guy do that while coming out of the bank one day.<br /><br />He was totally blind to it. Drove right into it like it wasn't there.<br /><br />SMASH!<br /><br />It woke him up for sure... LOL!!<br /><br />H.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

hey pony85, that Best Buy has been long needed in that location. I am glad there will finally be a decent electronics retailer in that area. <br /><br />Now if Cabelas gets into Richfield we'll really be set. Gonna give Gander and "The Mans Store" (FF) a run.

oddjob

Commander

Very funny thread.. :D ..I backed into a tree in a near empty parking lot dropping my son off near school in the morning. :eek: Most people were at work. Mashed my tale light and required 600.00 dollars body work. That made my day.......My first new vehicle was my 88 jeep comanche first week of ownership I pulled into a 7 eleven for gas and when I opened the door the wind grabbed it from my hand and sent it into the concrete pole beside the pump. That put a nice dimple at the bottom of the door. A week later I got caught ( cause I stopped! :confused: ) in suger sand next to a bobwire fence....I made it out...only after leaving nice 20" long permanent pin-stripe along the other door....live and learn...maybe :cool:

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was fishing in a remote part of B.C. -have to 4 wheeler in and then there is a road connecting some lakes; all this is a fishing/moose hunting area owned by wife's cousin. Anyway, borrowed old red (4X4 crew cab ford used to access remote lakes) went and picked up a alum boat and put in back, rear of boat first. Backed up and could see had plenty of room (side mirrors) BOOM! Rear window blows out. Hit the bow of the boat right smack in the center of a 4" pine tree, shoved the stern through the rear window! 2" either way and the boat would have slid to the side. This lone pine was about 2' farther out than the trees I could see in the rear view mirror. I paid for the window that was the easy part - paying a installer and getting him up there with the glass was a killer on the pocketbook. <br /><br />Dan (owner/relative) was grateful as most don't pay when they damage equip. - might add he did say I didn't have to as I used my truck (tractor/trailer) to haul a load of stuff there and was hauling a big farm tractor back for him (2500k trip he paid fuel). But, I always feel if I borrow something, I'll return it in the same/better condition! BTW fuel cost was less than the glass repair in the dark interior of B.C. Fishing was great though!!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

When we moved into our house, wife backed into the carport pole. She said that it wasn't there when she looked in the rear view mirror. Told her the house is jinx and the pole jumped in her right of way and she almost kill the pole. End up costing us a new tail light and getting a new pole for the carport. Now she park about 6 ft away for the carport. :D

Ron G

Commander

I was in the parking lot of a motel one night when a woman in a caddy came easing through there was one pole dead middle of parking lot and she hit it square center of that caddy bent the bumber in and crinked the hood we went over thinking she was drunk but she wasnt said she she didnt see it got back in drove off. <br /><br />When i was 16 backed dads truck into a combine busted tail light out,told dad i never saw it,he looked at the combine ,loked at me and shook his head and walked away,i thought i was going to get a beating for sure.<br /><br />and the good one was a monday and was leaving on friday for a fishing trip to texas was pumped up,went into the store after work to get a beer,when somebody said whos driveing that truck,didnt pay any att, to them walked out and truck was gone,looked around and it was across the road into a buildig,it must of jumped out of gear,rolled threw the parking lot hit a wooden fence took out 8 boards went inbeetween some cars and into the builing,should of seen the look on my face with everbody laughing :) :)

Pony

Rear Admiral

pjc- you are correct, a best buy has been needed around here for a long time. i think we are all sick of going to northridge to get to the closet one. especially since that one isnt real great.<br /><br />I was talking to my dad yesterday, and he reminded me of something he did when i was too young to remember it. he was coming home from work and was backing his truck into the driveway. <br />he was working third shift so it was like 6 in the morning and it had just snowed. he had to maneover around the garbage cans at the end of the driveway as it was garbage day. Being it had just snowed, he didnt see where the edge of the drivway was and was paying too much attention to the cans to see the biggest maple tree in the neighborhood right behind him. i mean this trunk is like big enough that i cant get my arms halfway aroung it.<br /><br />thanks for all the stories guys...makes me feel a little better.....at least until the repair bill comes. keep em comin

D

DJ

You people are dinosaurs. What's with this actually admitting you did something?<br /><br />Is this some old principle that you dug up somewhere?

Pony

Rear Admiral

at least i'll be saving some gas money for a little bit....4x4=bad mileage. here gas just came down from 2.60- 2.70 for 87octane.

tommays

Admiral

just remember only liars and people who never do anything DON'T make mistakes ;) <br /><br />tommays