I think i locked my motor up

I have a 1150 merc with power trim its been setting for about ten years i think, i think its a 78 and im getting my strater rebuilt and i think ima buy the impeller rebuilt kit but when i try to pull start it, it will not even turn. pls any one help thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: I think i locked my motor up

Pull all spark plugs out, shoot penetrating oil in cylinders, put a wrench on that big flywheel nut on top and try to turn motor over. 10 years is a long time and the motor could be frozen up and ruined, but it's worth a try. you're going to need to clean carbs and fuel system before it's going to have a prayer of it starting. Good Luck! You're gonna need it!

so i should i be able to still turn it kus i tried pull starting it and i cant move it at all

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Take out all the plugs, get some "deep creep", tilt the motor up, spray a good shot in each cylinder, let it sit over night. Respray in the am, let sit agin till evening, then try pulling it over. IF it won't go after this, then use the wrench and try. Use the wrench carefully, if it seems to go a slight amount, go back to the pull start and re do more deep creep. IF it ran when it was put away, and it was stored in a dry location, then it should be fine. IT would only rust sieze if there was water in the cylinders. Otherwise its just condensation seizing, which the deep creep should free up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tony, Pull off the transfer covers on the starboard side of the motor. You should be able to see the rust on the rings. You can more effectively spray 'em with the penetrating oil. If necesssary, use a brass rod thru the plug hole and give the top of the piston a rap with a hammer. Make sure the cylinder walls are completely smooth, prior to trying to start it up. You may need to turn the motor over by hand with oil, for a few hundred turns to accomplish this.

i got the motor to turn!!!! yes!!!!! i got the penatratin oil and sprayed in each cylinder and turned the flyweel then i tilted the motor up and sprayed again and let set over night, now i turn the flyweel and it will turn but if i mark a star point on the top and start to turn it, it will stop at a full turn and gets stops as if it was locked at the sertain point, i turn it backwerds and try again and still happens, i took the bottom end out and tried to turn it and still does it. any help is appriciate it thanks guy for all the help so for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think looking at the cylinders, pistons and rods via the transfer covers is the next step. Maybe you broke a ring or something.

Found out what it was, i took the covers off and i found that the number 6 piston rod was off of the crank shaft and the bottom of the piston rod was brocken, oh and i took all of it appart and no internal damage just that part brocken any suggestions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It would be good to know why it broke. Inspect the cylinder, piston, rings etc for binding. Does that motor have bearing cap screws or bearing cap bolts and nylon lock nuts? If screws, you must install new screws, or they might break, after reuse. Nuts and bolts are reuseable. Perhaps this is your problem? Do you think it threy that rod 10 years ago, or when you tried to start it?

You can install a new rod, if the bearing surface is clean and round.

I also have a 50hp merc sitting on my fence will the piston and the rod fit on my 115 merc?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You will need to check bore and stroke on that 50HP motor. The pistons and rods from an inline 4 or 6 motor from 85-150HP will fit yours, but I am not sure about the Merc 50.

its done i gutted it and everything is off i checked my 50 merc and pulled the pistons out and did not fit they were too small, so now i need a new piston, does anyone know were i can get a single piston and piston rod, for a low price?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The pistons are pretty common. Check persang or sierra for them. Normally you would have it bored and buy an oversize piston, if the cylinder is worn or scratched. You can get a rod at a junk yard. If you need several parts, let me know. I have a '77 Merc 1500, complete, except for one thrown rod. If I can rid of a fair amount of it at once, I will consider parting it out.

well i got the motor for a 180, and i dont have that much cash to play with since i just had a baby about a month ago, so you think i should bore out the cylinder? and if so how but do you estimate to get it bored? i found the piston oversized .015 for $49.73 From sierra and the rod cost around $148 also at sierra. i would be interested in your motor but i would think you would want a bit of money for it. and i dont know were your located im in fresno, ca. By the way thanks for all the helps so far.

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

my bros has a wiesco piston kit for the top one on his 150hp :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tony, If the cylinder is scratched up, it should be bored. .015" is the first bore size, however, you really need to mic it up to see what it is now. I think the Wiseco pistons are cast, and need a bit more clearance, due to expansion.

I am in NJ, so no help for you

Thanks chris i will mic it up to see were i stand. now when i messure it i have to get the highest reeding right?

yea chris i got good news yesterday i found a guy with a powerhead from a 76merc inline 6 and he want 200 for it so i think ima jump on that, what do you think?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a plan. Check the compression on it naturally. The '76 will have distributor ignition. I presume your motor is the same?