I think I know the problem..but don't know how to fix

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
I am having trouble getting my outboard started. I have a new switch. Without the wires on, I ohm out the two magneto posts. In the off positon, they ohm out. In the "on" and "start" positions, they do not ohm out. When I connect the wires, they ohm out in every position. Any idea why? I am assuming that my mototr will not turn over because the magneto is grounded all the time? Help!!!??? :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: I think I know the problem..but don't know how to fix

Lucky..... One of the wires (black) that goes to one of the "M" terminals is a ground wire. The other wire (black/yellow) leads to the kill circuit of the powerpack (assuming your engine has a powerpack... you don't say what engine you have). Both of those wires would of course reflect a ohm reading, and that is normal. It has nothing to do with your engine not turning over. I assume by "turn over", you're refering to the starter turning the crankshaft, flywheel etc.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Joe,<br /> Thanks. I have an old 35hp Sea King outboard. Would that have a powerpack? If so, where would it be located? Unfortunatley, the two wires coming out of the ignition switch are both solid black. I do not have the yellow tracer on either wire.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Lucky.... Okay, now I know the horsepower but still not the year but no matter. That engine does not have a powerpack, it has two sets of points. The two black wires lead to the points (one black wire to one set of points). This would still give you an ohm reading as they (the points)would also be connected to condensers and coils.<br /><br />When the key is "ON", the internal connection in the ignition switch between the two "M" terminals is open, and so there is no interference between the points, condensers, coils.<br /><br />When the key is "OFF" the internal connection between the two "M" terminals is closed, in effect connecting the two black wires, which shorts out the ignition and stops the engine from running.<br /><br />I assume you're refering to a electric starter? If so, try to explain thoroughly exactly what happens when you turn the key to the start position. Do you hear a click, does the starter turn at all, whatever?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lucky, you are really confusing things by posting two different threads on the same problem. Joe doesn't know what you asked me, and I just now discovered that you have a different conversation going on.<br /><br />Joe: Check out the thread on "My SeaKing wont start".

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Joe, your help is greatly appreciated. I still do not know the year, but this is what I have. It is a Sea King Twin Electric. Model# GG8837A, serial# 06X794934 and it was made by Gale. (35hp). Here is where I am at. I have 12V coming from the ignition switch and going into the Solenoid. When I run a wire directly from that, the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. The problem is that I cannot seem to get 12V back out of the solenoid. I hear nothing. No clicks, blips or whirls. I can jump directly from the battery and get the starter to engage. The Ignition switch and the solenoid are both brand new. I also went through and thoroughly cleaned all of the connections.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

JB, sorry 'bout that. I will stick with this thread. I looked at your advice, and I have cleaned and check all terminals so far. The solenoid is in a little metal box. Does the solenoid itself need to be mounted securely for a good ground? If so, does the metal box that it is in also have to be grounded?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Lucky -- your motor is a 1960 model.<br /><br />sounds like you are getting excellent advice. The transom box should have a wiring diagram on the inside cover, by the way. The box is grounded to the motor.

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Oldboat. I knew that thing was older than me! When you say the box is grounded, do you mean the actual metal box itself? That is one thing I never checked. I did look at the inside cover to the box and checked it against the wires. All seems correct. Thanks!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like the wiring diagram is still there -- That's a useful thing, but often worn away. The box should be grounded to the powerhead via one of the black wires (negative battery post to box to powerhead). If you followed the wiring diagram in the box you should be OK for the ground -- but check for corrosion if you haven't done so already. The Sea King/Gale is a nice motor, by the way -- not some afterthought in the OMC line. Maybe one of the simplest things you can do to troubleshoot is unhook the battery and go through the connections with a continuity tester. I can't speak to keyswitch wiring (except to advise you to follow the instructions with the new switch), but I would think you most likely have a bad wire or connection.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

JB.... Checked the other thread as per your suggestion. Yes, that does get confusing. I'll back out of this one and let you take care of it. I'm at the age where confusion bothers me.(grin)

MonkeyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE; I went through and cleaned all of the connections everywhere. I still got nothing when I tried starting with the key. My dad came over and had me swap the two wires on the top of the solenoid and, sure enough, the motor turned over with the key. So, I'll leave it at that and start working on actually getting the outboard to run.<br />Thanks Everyone!!