I think I killed my TE60TLENE

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
Long story short, in 2011 my 92 tracker received a remanufactured powerhead. The issues of the failure were addressed and all tsb's we're performed updating the known issues with this engine. The engine performed flawlessly and has less than 50 hours. Last year a crankcase leak developed underneath the flywheel where the case is split. I pulled the powerhead split the case resealed and reinstalled.
Now I have some serious noise coming from the engine. I don't know if I have the confidence to go back in again and try to repair this. I could use some advice about options of what other motors might replace this 1992 60 horse Evinrude without having to change out the controls etc. I'm also shopping reman powerheads again if anyone would have any advice on a quality unit at a reasonable price it would be appreciated.
Once I've arrived at a suitable alternative I will probably pull this motor down and take a look at it to see just what the problem is and then make a decision for sure which way to go.
Any advice would be appreciated.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
The noise sounds like what i have heard called prop chatter, a pretty scary sound but it occurs under acceleration and deceleration which I understand eliminates that.
I don't want to tear it down without an alternate plan, to avoid a basket case.
If I end up selling the boat, I would like the engine to be assembled.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
The noise sounds like what i have heard called prop chatter, a pretty scary sound but it occurs under acceleration and deceleration which I understand eliminates that.
I don't want to tear it down without an alternate plan, to avoid a basket case.
If I end up selling the boat, I would like the engine to be assembled.
Here is a 20 second video of my left foot and the noise.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
Update- Rocking the flywheel I could detect a clunk. I removed spark plugs and using a wooden dowel to provide pressure on the top of the pistons I discovered the clunk was gone when I held pressure on the bottom piston.
So..... I have a piston and/or rod issue. Again I am not sure I want to tackle this repair myself but a reman powerhead would not be a problem. I just don't want to spend 2500 bucks for a poor quality rebuild.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Head down to a marina or boat ramp and start asking around for a reputable shop or rebuilder.
Word of mouth recommendations far out weight and advertising you will find.
Jmo
Best of luck.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Well I'm from Seattle so we're both NW people. Money wise, your best to just buy a used motor because we are flooded here.

But call seaway marine just north of me....their one of the biggest parts guys in the world I think, I know the family. Number is up above the posts.

Last option is a good used one (Craigslist)

I bought two 1985 Johnson 70hp for $1000 bucks today, both motors have all the trimmings.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
I've been looking in the used market for an outboard but there has been nothing in my HP range at all locally. I have heard OBR is a good builder for a reman powerhead??? They seem fairly priced with others I know nothing about. The link here on Iboats for powerheads is a dead end.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many shops do not rebuild the older / smaller / 2 strokes anymore.-----No call for them and no easy money to be made.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
almost sounds like they didn't align the rod cap correctly but could be bearing alignment. sometimes a bad gearcase will play tricks with you . always worth dropping it but agree does sound like the powerhead. alot of those rebuilders say things like "replace pistons as needed"... meaning they think a cheap hone and new rings on used pistons and its good as new.