i see lots of rebuilds?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
I have been looking for wiring pics of chieftains, all i see are rebuilds and no wiring pics..... does anyone have wiring in their newly built chieftains or are they magical? lol. just saying

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Elecrricity is invisible, till it's not. You will see it if there is an issue when you see the magic smoke. Finding a wiring diagram for a particular boat is like finding the lamp with a genie inside.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
one reason it is hard to find is because the main control harness that connects the dash controls to the engine and the engine wiring are made by mercruiser. once you get up to the dash things are going to be different on every boat brand and model depending on what accessories were used. I would start by looking up the mercruiser wiring diagram, I believe the color coding is pretty standard. then you will have to figure out the dash

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i have a mercury 115 4 cyl 2 cycle 1991 with
COMMANDER Side Mount Remote Control
(Power Trim/Tilt Electric Start With Warning
Horn) Wiring Diagram
. trying to find water pressure , fuel guage, rpms, speed, nothing in my manual says what wires are what , just shows colours. i am in the works to redo the whole wiring on this boat. its a 1974 starcraft chieftain 18

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google standard marine wiring colors, unless butchered by a PO, should be accurate of what wire goes where

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have a mercury 115 4 cyl 2 cycle 1991 with
COMMANDER Side Mount Remote Control
(Power Trim/Tilt Electric Start With Warning
Horn) Wiring Diagram
. trying to find water pressure , fuel guage, rpms, speed, nothing in my manual says what wires are what , just shows colours. i am in the works to redo the whole wiring on this boat. its a 1974 starcraft chieftain 18

In your chieftain wiring thread I gave you a link to a resource that identifies what the mercury outboard wire colors mean on the wire harness going from the outboard to the hull.

You are making this more difficult than what should be. More doing and documenting and do less asking the same exact questions +3 times.

You know what to do. If you need advice on how to sort out a mess of boat wiring, then ask those questions.

Disconnect battery, disconnect outboard wire harness plug, then get to work identifying and documenting wires instead of expecting some miraculous answer to make sense of things.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wiring colors are in the electrical forum