I/O trim tilt up or down when docked ?

Anthonym2

Seaman
Hi All,
Just took my boat out for the first time today and docked it at my slip where it will sit for the season.
I'm new to boating. Does it matter if I leave the drive unit tilted down or up when docked? It's an I/O

Thanks in advance!

Alumarine

Captain
If you leave it down there is less strain on the bellows.
If it's shallow sometimes you have no choice but to leave it up.

alldodge

Staff member
I leave mine down always, and have since new for my Rinker. I have yet to replace the boots, but also do plan to do this year after 21 years

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Always down. Even when/if on the trailer, once she's parked leave it down. As mentioned, less strain on the bellows.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
cracked bellows will hold water fairly well if the drive is down. On the other hand, cracked bellows will sink a boat in a hurry if the drive is tilted up... your choice!

thumpar

Admiral
cracked bellows will hold water fairly well if the drive is down. On the other hand, cracked bellows will sink a boat in a hurry if the drive is tilted up... your choice!
If there is water in the bellows from cracks they need to be replaced. This is a question about being docked also so...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Leavin' the drive down will also keep muskrats from chewin' holes through the bellows,....

Donno why, but they seem to love eatin' rubber parts,...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
If there is water in the bellows from cracks they need to be replaced. This is a question about being docked also so...

yep, but unless you are inspecting it before every single use (impossible for a slipped boat), you won't know it is cracked on a boat that spends the season in the slip. The indicators are either water slowly leaking in the bilge when the drive is down, or a sinking boat if the drive is up.

thumpar

Admiral
yep, but unless you are inspecting it before every single use (impossible for a slipped boat), you won't know it is cracked on a boat that spends the season in the slip. The indicators are either water slowly leaking in the bilge when the drive is down, or a sinking boat if the drive is up.
Up or down wouldn't matter in that situation. The rate the water comes in the bellows is going to be faster than the rate it gets past the gimbal bearing. I know from experience.